The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Top Gun: Maverick - Dolby ATMOS

Level - 5 Stars (112.69dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.39dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Notes - Wow, an unfiltered mix.  No clipping, but what looks like some obvious compression on the waveforms, which I will take over flat tops that lose data.  Solid movie, but not without its faults.  It reinvigorated my interest in blockbuster-type films.

TopGunMaverick.thumb.jpg.966b0f0680999a55acfb6f1242972928.jpg

JSS

Thanks for the updates, Max. GxK, with movies like these I only expect to be entertained, but it's true that sometimes they don't really try too hard to make a good story. At some point the audiovisual spectacle alone is not enough. Which, to me, it is the same case for Maverick. It's a good sequel, but I don't really think is a great movie. I watch it for the action sequences, but I have to admit that I don't care for the rest of the story, and I gladly skip entire chapters. That's just me. I know many people love the movie.

Speaking of the mix, I kept reading the movie was filtered and was lacking extension, when it's clearly not the case. I wonder if they were watching a crappy stream, or something. But even people with capable systems mentioned they thought bass was lacking in some parts. Who knows. I enjoy the mix, but for some reason, I didn't love it as much as expected. You mentioned the mix isn't clipped, but the waveforms are compressed. Does that mean it can sound like if it was clipped? I agree this is not a very dynamic mix, but I had a hard time with the loudest parts of it. Maybe that's what I should expect from flying jets.

BTW, do you have a way of measuring streaming services, like Netflix? There's some interesting stuff out there, but not sure if it's the same process.

The Dolby Digital EX core is much lower in level, so streaming the lossy core or not being able to decode Dolby ATMOS or TrueHD would make the movie seem much more anemic.

Compression lowers the volume for very loud parts that would otherwise clip, vs clipping, which just results in lost data as the level runs into the maximum allowed on the medium, which results in flat tops on the waveforms and lost data. 

Clipping sounds worse, IMO, it can make natural things sound more like EDM.  Compression and clipping can lead to ear fatigue, as compression keeps the level high most of the time, and clipping sounds harsh.

JSS

On 6/24/2024 at 1:48 PM, maxmercy said:

The Dolby Digital EX core is much lower in level, so streaming the lossy core or not being able to decode Dolby ATMOS or TrueHD would make the movie seem much more anemic.

That makes sense. I've been trying some streaming movies "copies" recently, and it's been hit and miss. Unfortunately, many of those don't have a disc release, so you're stuck with what you have, or keep looking for a better version, I guess. I just watched Furiosa (2024), and it sounded super weak vs Fury Road ATMOS disc.  I need to bump the MV probably 6-7db, and it sounded better, but still not quite punchy as you'd expect. I guess I should wait for the disc. Thanks for the explanations and comparisons, as always, very useful.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (Dolby ATMOS)

Level - 2 Stars (107.35dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.31dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Notes - Well done film, bass was appropriate, but could have had a little more impact with some of the explosions, but I would rather headroom left on the table than clipped away.  Where this film shines is the score.  Terrific bass drum, stand-up bass accompaniment to the action onscreen.  It's as if the band was playing in the room while you were watching the movie. 

Waveform analysis reveals no clipping, which is always appreciated given the run of movies we had for about 13 years which were clipped, some terribly and easily audible when viewing, even at low volumes.

TheMinistryofUngentlemanlyWarfare.thumb.jpg.efb0783501018e3937699e8ad6f35b5f.jpg

JSS

Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning, Pt 1

Level - 4 Stars (111.1dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (13Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.24dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Notes - The graph appears to say that "anytime we need a powerful effect, give me 20Hz for the win".  Clipping is present but not egregious, less than 30 instances on all 8 channels for the whole film.  Some content is gone, but hardly any compared to the horribly clipped films.  I'll comment more later upon viewing.  The franchise as a whole has been hit and miss.

MissionImpossibleDeadReckoningPt1.thumb.jpg.3068810a76f7dbe94f9607c24e9aec9f.jpg

JSS