The Incredible Hulk - The track to rule them all?

RunkePer

Surprised to find no thread on this one. IMHO, it's the singular most overwhelming movie soundtrack out there, at least to my knowledge. I still haven't found a track that is as visceral, as devastating and as impressive as this one is. While there are contenders in some areas, on the whole this one just smashes. Not only in terms of low-bass, but the entire sound mix is a stunner. It's clean, loud without distorsion and has some of the best dynamics and use of surrounds ever. 

Standouts - not surprisingly - are the two major Hulk throw-downs. At the university, the awesome first roar almost feels like it pushes you back into your seat as it spreads through the surrounds with an enveloping sense of authority. The realistic, chest-pounding heft of machine guns reigns fire all across the soundscape, and the sonic cannons will assault your ears (and your home theatre... and your walls, and windows) with you enjoying every second of it. 

And then there is of course the "Harlem shake" with the Hulk and the Abomination throwing down in NY. The fist blow following the cop car smash can easily make carpets and curtains fly with that massive ULF burst. 

It's the only movie in my collection that actually makes my pulse rise. It's a sonic thrill-ride! 

It is still the one track I compare all others to.  It has it all.  Not as much ULF as Battle:LA, but a great mix of all the LF freq bands.  Clipped waveforms are (surprisingly) few and far between given the SPL of this track.

We measured it a long time ago before every film got a thread.  

JSS

I have to say...  I'm not that keen on TIH soundtrack :unsure:

I've not watched it for a while, and I don't think I've yet had a chance to actually run it the whole way through at a decent level, but it just doesn't seem that impressive :blink:

I've a feeling that my view may well change when I finally get some EQing done to lift the bottom end...  lol

If you are looking for an over-the-top ULF-heavy experience, TIH is not the go-to.  Battle:LA and other films are more ULF-Heavy.  TIH uses every LF freq band very well, and includes ULF in specific places.  Both Battle:LA and TIH clip, TIH clips no more than 7 samples at once (at 48kHz), and with rounded-off tops like Pixels.

Strange thing is, TIH actually has room for BEQ, if you can believe it.  The LFE channel is ever-so-slightly rolled off.  LCRS are not.

JSS

If you are looking for an over-the-top ULF-heavy experience, TIH is not the go-to.  Battle:LA and other films are more ULF-Heavy.  TIH uses every LF freq band very well, and includes ULF in specific places.  Both Battle:LA and TIH clip, TIH clips no more than 7 samples at once (at 48kHz), and with rounded-off tops like Pixels.

Strange thing is, TIH actually has room for BEQ, if you can believe it.  The LFE channel is ever-so-slightly rolled off.  LCRS are not.

JSS

Well, while I find the ULF superb in the film, I can think of ones that have consistently MORE of it. However, I can't think of many films that utilize the entire LFE band and surrounds as effectively as this one does. The only really heavy ULF moments in the movie I noticed are when the sound cannons hit the Hulk and again the Abomination punch. 

Point being, while it may not strictly spoken be the king of low-bass, it's certainly the most awesome HT ride IMHO. Not to mention it's a pretty solid movie, which is more than I can say for Battle LA :)

Archived