1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Out of the Furnace (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106.6dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (18Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.49dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-46905100-1394637850_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Buy / 5 stars

This is not a special effects laden/LFE film by any definition. However, it's the most powerful movie watching experience I've had in recent memory, and I can't think of anything they could have done to improve it. This is not enjoyable, feel good movie-time material.

Highly recommended, powerful stuff. 

I agree that the movie is pretty decent, but in my opinion it doesn't have the quantity of bass nor extension I think is necessary to warrant a 5 star rating.  However, FOH, every vote counts, so please cast yours.  :)

Nube, you've got me thinking. Execution.

I looked around in other threads, the first one I pull up was Avatar, which happens to be a good example. Both Tux and Toe differentiate overall sound and LFE. Soooo, when I read your comments about quantity and extension to warrant a 5 star rating, I'm intrigued a bit more and curious.    

This certainly doesn't mean the vote system needs any change, I think it's fine and obviously the simpler the better. However, it does illustrate differing viewpoints to the approach we each use to establish how a particular release has been "executed". I voted 5 star execution, as I stated, I don't know what they could've done to improve the execution of the soundtrack. What very few effects there were, subjectively possessed all the requisite LF. I only viewed it once, and didn't even go back and replay any of the scenes.

But still, I was so taken by the film in a big picture kind of way. I thought it was filled with fine performances, top to bottom. I found it to be a powerful experience and highly recommend it.

Thanks    

I consider the bass execution rating to be a measure of how well on-screen events matched with the bass in the audio track.  For me, Out of the Furnace seemed to use bass content/effects appropriately when it used them, but it just didn't do that as frequently as I expected from on-screen events.  For example, it didn't have much bass when the shots were located in the foundry/mill, and that seemed a poor choice because (in my limited experience) those places are full of loud, low frequency noise.  Still a pretty decent movie, but definitely not uplifting!  ;)

I'll have to check this title out.  My opinion is that 'Execution' is very comparable to the 'star ratings' over at AVS.  Very subjective, and if you like/appreciate a movie more, Execution will increase despite lower objective category star ratings...

JSS

Archived