Driver mounting depth in a tapped horn?

Samps

When mounting a driver face down in a tapped horn, how critical is the depth of the mounting?

The Alpine driver I'm using has a thick rubber gasket. If I remove the gasket, the driver could be mounted about 1/4" deeper into the hole.

How does this effect response? I'm guessing the compression ratio increases the deeper the driver enters the throat.

When mounting a driver face down in a tapped horn, how critical is the depth of the mounting?

The Alpine driver I'm using has a thick rubber gasket. If I remove the gasket, the driver could be mounted about 1/4" deeper into the hole.

How does this effect response? I'm guessing the compression ratio increases the deeper the driver enters the throat.

In the case of the tapped horn that I think you're building (PicoWrecker), the volume of the throat chamber will change. Not a huge change in the overall response as a result. I've learned that keeping as much driver out of the horn path as possible is a good idea. I've built horns that were choked at their rear tap, they didn't work out so well, certainly didn't meet my expectations. 

Thanks. So where do you find the spec that tells you the depth of the cone in relation to the mounting surface? Or is that something that must be physically measured in person?

It really needs to be measured. Sometimes I can get that information from the documentation provided by the manufacturer, but I typically just measure the cone volume and dimensions. I don't own an Alpine Type S 10, so I haven't measured it. I did measure my Sundown Ev2 10, that's what the initial model was based on. 

Really, there's not that big of a difference here, at least not in the simulations. 

Easy button answer:

Remove the gasket.

Seal the frame to baffle with Duct Seal or similar.

Thanks a lot lilmike. Yes I'm building two Picowreckers. Normally this wouldn't have even been a concern, but the Alpines have a unique gasket that is really thick. It is a nice looking gasket that would leave a clean finish on a normal install. Quite clever actually.

I can take some measurements of the Alpine for you. I'm not sure which areas to measure though.

Archived