I apologise in advance for this as it is the laziest post in the worrrrrld...
... but basically, I am struggling to get my head round the different sub EQ options out there, especially how low the options go, so I was hoping I could be set straight, if anyone has the time, energy and inclination!
If not, no worries lol
Anyway, from what I can see, we have:
- on-amp EQ, e.g. iNuke DSP - seems to work reasonably well, if a little confusing for us non-IT types, but options for extending below 20Hz are limited (but possible via LT or shelf filter, I believe?). Possible issues with roll-off of amps with this on them.
- on-AVR Audyssey - would seem to be the easiest of all, with the AVR just EQing everything in one Audyssey run, but IIRC it only EQs down to 10Hz and there is no way to shape the profile bar band-wide increases/decreases of the subwoofer level, meaning no house curve etc possible.
- BFD1124 / 2496 - seems quite versatile, perhaps too 'old school' now - but not sure how low it goes? plus it looks a bit tricky and potentially easy to over-EQ with too many filters?
- AntiMode - does this only do cuts, not boosts? With a 10Hz lower limit for EQ?
- MiniDSP - seems most versatile of the options? (that don't require purchase of an associated bossobass system lol) I am sure I have read it EQs down to 10Hz (with both cuts and boost) but then I have it in my head that I have also seen it goes down to 3Hz, so I am just confused...
[EDIT: Looks like it goes down to 10Hz but you can set a wide lift/cut that should affect lower down? See page 28-29, section 3.5 of the manual:
- Bossobassis SEQSS - goes lowest of the EQ options, flat to 3Hz IIRC, with the ability to boost by up to 10? 15? dB across its whole range, but not a standalone purchase option and I can't afford a full system lol
- HTPC systems seemingly have little roll off and are flexible on the EQ front, but look a nightmare to setup...
If it was possible to confirm which goes lowest / is most flexible/easy, etc, that would be excellent - I need to purchase something so I can boost the very low end and MiniDSP seems to be the only/best option at the moment in my head!