Looking for sub advice

Bloop

for $1000 you could build many small sealed subwoofers and hide them round the room, this combined with equalization will sound great.  If you get a multichannel amplifier with DSP you could use this:

https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/index.html

(also good links on the site).   

People seem to like this amp as a budget option (perhaps there is something similar in the US?):

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.amp_quadro_500_dsp.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjQiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVuIn0%3D

In a small room like yours and with relatively low volume playback,I'd recommend at least 2 compact sealed subs. 3 or 4 would be even better if you can spread them out around the room. This will even the response out over a wide listening area. If you can take a tape measure and figure out how big you would like the enclosures to be. Is a 21" cube ok? 18"? Smaller?

There are a number of popular cost effective drivers if you want to DIY? Are you looking to DIY or are you looking to buy a complete sub? 

If going DIY you'll want DSP and you'll need an amp. It's cheaper to have the DSP in the amp. The Behringer NX3000DSP or 6000 version are popular and cost effective. The fans are LOUD though but they can be modded with quieter fans. The amp that Kipman linked seems like a good option also. 

You'll also want to be able to measure your response in room to help dial in the dsp for the subs and integrate them into the rest of the sound system. REW is popular and free. All you need is a decent measurement mic and a sound card. The Umik system is poplar too. It's surprisingly cheap to get a setup going. $100 can do it. 

Im not opposed to diy if the value is a lot better but i would prefer prebuilt. im not sure if i will be able to put multiple subs in the room because i have very limited space. I think it will need to be 18"or smaller. I was thinking of buying a minidsp with dirac live for dsp since rew seemed complicated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 9:45 AM, Ricci said:

In a small room like yours and with relatively low volume playback,I'd recommend at least 2 compact sealed subs. 3 or 4 would be even better if you can spread them out around the room. This will even the response out over a wide listening area. If you can take a tape measure and figure out how big you would like the enclosures to be. Is a 21" cube ok? 18"? Smaller?

There are a number of popular cost effective drivers if you want to DIY? Are you looking to DIY or are you looking to buy a complete sub? 

If going DIY you'll want DSP and you'll need an amp. It's cheaper to have the DSP in the amp. The Behringer NX3000DSP or 6000 version are popular and cost effective. The fans are LOUD though but they can be modded with quieter fans. The amp that Kipman linked seems like a good option also. 

You'll also want to be able to measure your response in room to help dial in the dsp for the subs and integrate them into the rest of the sound system. REW is popular and free. All you need is a decent measurement mic and a sound card. The Umik system is poplar too. It's surprisingly cheap to get a setup going. $100 can do it. 

Oh yeah I meant under 80db idk why I wrote it that way.