• 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

• Rent
    • Buy

Kick-Ass 2 (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.73dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (2Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.34dB)
Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Finally, something worth watching!  Kick-Ass 2 follows in the original's footsteps with solid, unfiltered sound design that's pretty fantastic, although the film is a letdown compared to the first.  I never thought I'd say this, but I missed Nick Cage in the 2nd one. 

This installment is really tired and forced in a lot of places, with the actors laboring to deliver anything meaningfully close to adequate performances.  The fight scenes are especially terrible, with excessively fast cuts that look like each fight move prolly needed 10+ takes, and they just cobbled them together - there's no fluidity.  Also, this is much more a teen movie, all the expletives, homophobic "humor," sexism and vagina references notwithstanding.  Wait...I guess that's what high school is like, right?

So, while I found the movie itself lacking, the sound design is exceptionally good.  I'd say it only misses 5 stars because of a little level left on the table.  Great use of the full bandwidth, pretty great sound design and artful use of effects used appropriately throughout.  It doesn't have any really demo-worthy scenes, but is just overall really good. This one, while not the best movie, has a superb bass mix, and might be worth a buy for a lot of folks.

PvA:

post-17-0-44180500-1390417318_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked this one, but it didn't have the 'lightning in a bottle' greatness the first one did....the sound was excellent, 5-Star IMO, as I can sacrifice some Level to get great Dynamics.  

The end of the film makes it seem that there will be more films...I would like to see where they take the story next...

JSS

Archived