Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

Ricci

On 11/16/2016 at 12:22 PM, Ricci said:

I could improve the results considerably, but before you know it the cab would be 27x60x36 and positively LARGE

Hi Josh

How much an improvement does 27x60x36 delivers?

Skhorn is big, don't think the wife will notice  an extra 6" lol

I'd be very interested in building this if you have plans available

Thank you

It does improve the low end some with more size. Hoffmans law of course...It also gives more room to fit things like casters or handles. I haven't got a plan for a larger version but this is close to what Paul did with his.

24x32x54= 24cu ft or 680L external

27x36x60= 33.75cu ft or 956L external. That's more than a 40% increase in size. You may be underestimating just how big and heavy this larger cab would be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ricci said:

It does improve the low end some with more size. Hoffmans law of course...It also gives more room to fit things like casters or handles. I haven't got a plan for a larger version but this is close to what Paul did with his.

24x32x54= 24cu ft or 680L external

27x36x60= 33.75cu ft or 956L external. That's more than a 40% increase in size. You may be underestimating just how big and heavy this larger cab would be.

Had been looking at building a slightly bigger single version myself but just trying to increase the low end a bit. I am not chasing numbers and would most likely be happy with the normal single driver version the way it is. But figured might as well see what can be had with a little more space. Unfortunately I have been away for months now with no time to simulate. But hopefully will get a break soon.

16 hours ago, chrapladm said:

Had been looking at building a slightly bigger single version myself but just trying to increase the low end a bit. I am not chasing numbers and would most likely be happy with the normal single driver version the way it is. But figured might as well see what can be had with a little more space. Unfortunately I have been away for months now with no time to simulate. But hopefully will get a break soon.

You know it's odd I spend all this time trying to keep this thing as compact as possible for being a double 21 and everyone seems to say I wish it were bigger! Never would have expected that. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ricci said:

You know it's odd I spend all this time trying to keep this thing as compact as possible for being a double 21 and everyone seems to say I wish it were bigger! Never would have expected that. 

I like the size that the Skhorn is. I  was just looking at building a large ported cab tuned roughly around 15hz with a single 21SW152 for HT. But then figured I might as well have a go at building a single version of this. And when doing so I didnt mind going a little bigger because it was going to be in a HT setup and not moving. Would go sealed with more drivers but budget wont allow. 

Agreed here as well. I don't know what type of additional extension you would want, as you'll be giving up to goods above 25hz or so, and that's what's so special about them. Just roll with a Large ported if you want to get to 15hz for HT. I've been running mine now with one port plugged for quite some time now and it handles music excellently... all of it. 

12 minutes ago, BeastAudio said:

Agreed here as well. I don't know what type of additional extension you would want, as you'll be giving up to goods above 25hz or so, and that's what's so special about them. Just roll with a Large ported if you want to get to 15hz for HT. I've been running mine now with one port plugged for quite some time now and it handles music excellently... all of it. 

Stop being the great sound of logic. :D Most likely I will be building a single driver version the way it is. I just cant help but look at what ifs when simulating.

Looks like this type of design is getting quite popular...Lot's of people working on them or asking about em. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me to design a cab for them from the ground up...had probably 4 guys ask in the last week.

Mr. Ricci, can you design me a ported box for the SI HS-24 with no more than 8 cu.ft. of enclosure volume?  And can you tune the port to 12Hz please?  You’re the bestest!  Thanks Josh. 

Happy Holidays guys!  Thanks for hosting such a magnificent and informative site!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dgage said:

Mr. Ricci, can you design me a ported box for the SI HS-24 with no more than 8 cu.ft. of enclosure volume?  And can you tune the port to 12Hz please?  You’re the bestest!  Thanks Josh. 

Happy Holidays guys!  Thanks for hosting such a magnificent and informative site!

I'm on it Dave!

• Haha 1

Interesting.

Master Ricci, has anyone pointed out that this is a bandpass box. Not a horn? I like the output capabilities. But this is not a horn. You have two drivers in two separate chambers couples on both sides of the drivers to vents. Nice classic bandpass enclosure. Awesome bit of design work at any rate.

Hey Mark.

Sure...I pointed out it is a 6th order variant the first time I posted about these a few years ago. Personally I refer to these as BPH's due to the large expanding slot section, where as a traditional vented 6th order would have a chamber and a port. These lack a traditional chamber or vent on one side of the cones but I don't really care what label is put on it. BP6/BPH etc...Results are what matter to me.

• Thanks 2

On 12/27/2018 at 7:24 PM, mwmkravchenko said:

Yep. And you have some great SPL numbers there. A true horn for two of those drivers would be enormous. It would have to be built into a theater rider like I've designed for a few clients. But get you even greater output. Impressive bit of work. I appreciate your level of detail in the files.

Here's the design I'm going to be using to replace my Othorn. It's been "almost" done for a long time now but I finally made an effort to wrap it up to the point that it is ready to build. Originally I was going to go with another TH design I was calling the Palehorn to replace the Othorn but I wasn't quite happy with it. I stumbled on this type of cab a few years ago while doing a billion simulations of different cabinet designs. You can read some of that in the M.A.U.L. thread. I originally planned to try this design first since it was smaller and cheaper to produce but circumstances led to the bigger more complicated M.A.U.L. getting done first. Since this style of 6th order bandpass / horn cab worked quite well and on target with the bigger design, I used what was learned there to make a few tweaks to this and finally wrap it up.  

Sorry for repeating, but if you read the whole topic from start , it’s one of the first thing he said .

Santa came by me yesterday while I was at work, I got these guys waiting for me at home , Mrs says the postman was not so happy when he came by 🤣🤣.

am kind of not sure which to build, Othorn or SKhorn, I know someone has built both need opinions here from someone who uses them for music not movies, cause i’d Like to build a few to put under my Martin Audio 215mk3 for next summer,

6DCA10AB-5F00-4C0F-BDC1-9023F185B9DE.jpeg

81F04C5A-0E4E-4B14-8321-ADAF14283865.jpeg

7919F7B4-DAAB-4C45-9F57-CC55A39EF12B.jpeg

Hi Josh & All. I wonder what would be appropriate amp power to justify using most of the potential of 21ipal in this cab, for example if the k20/ffa10k could drive two 1 ohm models wired in series on each side of the amp good enough for it to be worth considering 21ipal, or if it would be considerably better to try and find 2 ohm models(maybe complicated) wired in series and a bridged k20 per cab.

I read the cab makes quite a bit of noise with only about 500w of power each driver so I figure it could work rather fine?

Thanks!

On 12/29/2018 at 3:41 PM, Murmel said:

Hi Josh & All. I wonder what would be appropriate amp power to justify using most of the potential of 21ipal in this cab, for example if the k20/ffa10k could drive two 1 ohm models wired in series on each side of the amp good enough for it to be worth considering 21ipal, or if it would be considerably better to try and find 2 ohm models(maybe complicated) wired in series and a bridged k20 per cab.

I read the cab makes quite a bit of noise with only about 500w of power each driver so I figure it could work rather fine?

Thanks!

I would recommend 2 drivers in series with a K20, one sub per channel. Or a SP12000. Or a driver per channel on SP12000 if you want to melt the coil in the first song.

It works well with any amp capable of driving 2 ohm subs. The average and minimum load are higher than what one would get if one would use a pair of 4 ohm cabs per channel like a Stasys X, DBH218, F221 etc that would drop lower on minimums.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

I would recommend 2 drivers in series with a K20, one sub per channel. Or a SP12000. Or a driver per channel on SP12000 if you want to melt the coil in the first song.

It works well with any amp capable of driving 2 ohm subs. The average and minimum load are higher than what one would get if one would use a pair of 4 ohm cabs per channel like a Stasys X, DBH218, F221 etc that would drop lower on minimums.

Thanks a lot for that detailed answer!

One thing I have in concern, a lot of the venues we tend to work in rarely provide stable 32A feeds, which possibly could favour the ffa10k (seem to be compared to somewhere between a k8/k10 in power) in that regard, if you have good 32A feed I presume k20 is very hard to beat.