SI 4" coil DS4-18 info and discussion

Electrodynamic

Zero percent distortion across a wide bandwidth at high excursion measured from the listening position (assumed at least a couple meters) doesn't even make sense.

But I told Beast I wouldn't talk about the GTG details anymore, so that's it for me on that topic.  I listed the reasons why an in room SpecLab measurement isn't adequate for determining perception of threshold audibility of distortion and that's enough on that topic for me.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dave,

I post here and there.  I have been busy building my room for Atmos and all new 4-6 in bass panels with 2 inch ceiling panels.  I can tell you for a HT addressing all first reflections points makes a huge difference in vocal clarity from off axis seats. I ported my IB just for fun, tuned them to 7hz, and added a Peavy IPR2 7500 as well.  I changed all my gear to separates, Marantz and Inuke 4 channel amps, which has a zero noise floor(zero hiss from speakers, finally) and a new LED projector.  I posted a spec graph of the same scene from my BEQ Transformers and it goes deep and powerful.  It is crazy but in reality acts like a LT'd IB in my room. 

Zero percent distortion across a wide bandwidth at high excursion measured from the listening position (assumed at least a couple meters) doesn't even make sense.

But I told Beast I wouldn't talk about the GTG details anymore, so that's it for me on that topic.  I listed the reasons why an in room SpecLab measurement isn't adequate for determining perception of threshold audibility of distortion and that's enough on that topic for me.

The post wasn't directed at you and I'm not particularly interested in your theories. :rolleyes:

Hey Dave,

I post here and there.  I have been busy building my room for Atmos and all new 4-6 in bass panels with 2 inch ceiling panels.  I can tell you for a HT addressing all first reflections points makes a huge difference in vocal clarity from off axis seats. I ported my IB just for fun, tuned them to 7hz, and added a Peavy IPR2 7500 as well.  I changed all my gear to separates, Marantz and Inuke 4 channel amps, which has a zero noise floor(zero hiss from speakers, finally) and a new LED projector.  I posted a spec graph of the same scene from my BEQ Transformers and it goes deep and powerful.  It is crazy but in reality acts like a LT'd IB in my room. 

Sounds like you've been busy, my friend, and the HT seems to be headed for greatness. I guess you've got a monstrous pipe to vent that much firepower?

Sorry for the off topic post. But my ds4 comes tomorrow

Looking forward to the details and pics, please, and thanks for the heads up.

I agree. Love the look of the new cone!

ONLY issue I don't like is since I had no logo to make level to the ground my predrilled holes for the si18 make the logo on an angle. Not a performance thing and no one will see the driver. But I know it's there and bugs me lol

I agree. Love the look of the new cone!

ONLY issue I don't like is since I had no logo to make level to the ground my predrilled holes for the si18 make the logo on an angle. Not a performance thing and no one will see the driver. But I know it's there and bugs me lol

Oh man, I am with you there - crooked drivers make my eye twitch... I've scrapped baffles because I drilled them wrong.

That's a stout looking driver.

I normally don't like logos on cones, but that one is actually pretty slick. Very nice looking driver Nick. 

I couldn't agree with you more. I typically do not like logos on cones but the raised black on the black dish really works. In a theater room it will disappear but if you had it out in the sun in an open field you would notice it. Hence the logo works very well on a home theater subwoofer. Dare I say "pimp" ?   B)

Compared to si18

54BCFD23-0238-4D2B-A345-9F96BC696538_zps

A2FAADD8-8555-48DD-B75A-EC26D7C436D2_zps

39D3192D-9161-455F-BA90-8D1CC9F88B58_zps

Thanks very much for these pics, they're really useful!

One can see the larger motor on the DS4 :)

And, from what I can tell, they look to be near-as-dammit identical in overall dimensions to the HT18?  (Nick - can you confirm?  I put my hands up and admit I've not checked the website yet... lol)  Which means they could/should be a straight-swap replacement for someone who kills at HT18?

I still haven't managed to find the time to properly EQ my HT18s but if the DS4 is a straight swap, I am comforted by the fact I wouldn't be left with two custom boxes that nothing fitted if I did let the magic smoke out... lol

I couldn't agree with you more. I typically do not like logos on cones but the raised black on the black dish really works. In a theater room it will disappear but if you had it out in the sun in an open field you would notice it. Hence the logo works very well on a home theater subwoofer. Dare I say "pimp" ?   B)

I see that the UM-18s are out of stock until 7/21. Lol, that is awesome timing for the DS4. I sure hope you like moving product!

I see that the UM-18s are out of stock until 7/21. Lol, that is awesome timing for the DS4. I sure hope you like moving product!

I've noticed that too.  I've been waiting for the UM18 to come back in stock for a while now so I can build a second sealed sub to match my current UM18.  I'm getting impatient so I've been considering just going with the DS4 and calling it a day. From what I've read it seems like the DS4 and my current UM18 should play nicely together (both in sealed configurations).

Thanks very much for these pics, they're really useful!

One can see the larger motor on the DS4 :)

And, from what I can tell, they look to be near-as-dammit identical in overall dimensions to the HT18?  (Nick - can you confirm?  I put my hands up and admit I've not checked the website yet... lol)  Which means they could/should be a straight-swap replacement for someone who kills at HT18?

I still haven't managed to find the time to properly EQ my HT18s but if the DS4 is a straight swap, I am comforted by the fact I wouldn't be left with two custom boxes that nothing fitted if I did let the magic smoke out... lol

They are a direct drop-in replacement as long as your enclosure for the HT-18 isn't nestled ultra-close to the backplate of the HT-18. AKA: If you have more than 2" from the rear of the HT-18 to the back side of your subwoofer enclosure the DS4-18 will fit quite nicely. 

I can confirm the are the same size. Since I drop in replaced one in my 6cu' box

They are a direct drop-in replacement as long as your enclosure for the HT-18 isn't nestled ultra-close to the backplate of the HT-18. AKA: If you have more than 2" from the rear of the HT-18 to the back side of your subwoofer enclosure the DS4-18 will fit quite nicely. 

Thanks for the confirmations, gents! :)

Archived