Luke's basic amplifier tests

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey I resemble that remark!  

EDIT: The testing methodology was updated to use a non-reactive load (water heater elements). I purchased 10 of these (Camco 6000w 240v low watt density): https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Screw--Foldb

The output power of a K20 vs an X4 K20:  145 V RMS for less than a second at 2.05 ohms both channels driven Then it limits to 58 V then it goes down to 52.  This means 10.5 kw per channel for

Posted Images

Small update on the Hypex amps: according to them all amps are tested at the factory and run through a burn-in period there. I suspect that this step was skipped because the amps were on back order already (I waited 2 months to get my amps in mid 2020 due to the pandemic), but of course this is nothing but a speculation from my side right now. I voiced the same thoughts to Hypex and waiting for their take on that. Will keep you posted

I've recieved an answer and they suspected this phenomenon was caused by bad contact of the speaker connector on the amp. I had the amps stored on a shelf in the warehouse for a few months, so it makes sense that there was some dirt build-up and corrosion-like effects (humidity never exceeds 60% there thou, so it's only minor), since the amps were unpacked. Running a higher current through the connector seems to literally clean it, which reduced the distortion. The more you know..!

• Like 1