PCB Model 378A07 microphone

tuxedocivic

A spam mail from AudioXpress alerted me to a new microphone from PCB that is apparently good down to 1/4hz. Imagine a frequency that takes 4 seconds to reproduce!

Here's the website: http://www.pcb.com/Products.aspx?m=378A07

I added it to my cart to see the price but it says not available online. It's apparently a new product. If this were under $300 I'd be tempted to convince myself I need one. But I'm guessing it's over a grand easy. Certainly targeted for the commercial industry.

AudioXpress actually has more info than PCB's website: http://audioxpress.com/article/New-1-2-Low-Frequency-Microphone-for-Infrasound-Measurements-from-PCB-Piezotronics.html

"Low frequency measurements are commonly required for wind turbines, sonic booms, diesel engines and specialized loudspeaker systems to name a few."

Is there anything out there that can rival this thing? Perhaps some of you hardcore ULF guys would want one of these. Personally it's not my passion like some of you. I'd rather spend my money on a mic that measures my speaker designs more than this. Very interesting none-the-less.

Really, says add to cart for a quote. Then it says not available online when I try to view my cart. Oh well. $1400 is about what I would have figured. Gotta be serious about this stuff to shell out that kind of dough. Probably the best tool on the market for ULF, at least that I'm aware of.

• 3 weeks later...

Constant current microphones like the PCB 378A07 are DC coupled and therefore flat down to very low frequencies. I use a similar microphone - the iSEMcon 7107-CHTB. It was custom calibrated by iSEMcon for me to 5 Hz and is down .25 dB at 5 Hz. The manufacture told me I shouldn't have any rolloff. It cost me $289 vs $1400.

Archived