Interstellar - Discussion & Poll - CLOSED

nube

Interstellar  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

2. 2. Recommendation?

Isn't that what you are now doing? ;) Haha. Well, not funny, the whole situation is not funny at ALL.

Nah, I always make light of a similar situation. It's just "stuff". It Blose when the stuff ain't what it's advertised to be and it's sad when fanbois spew the denial poison on the data that proves it, but these days I just laugh it off. I might just act drunk and spill a 10 ouncer on it while it's playing a disc and put the "Drink Guy Brings Majik OPPO Smoke" vid on YT.

I would sell it over at AVS.  It may command a pretty good price given all the manufactured good pub it gets over there.

JSS

The guys here will put it on EBay. The AutoBots read EBay and I heard they're into OPPO.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a pretty intense scene from Interstellar. I included the time stamp below.

For anyone curious about the OPPO, I show some visuals here of how it butchers the summing of the re-directed bass into a clipped, squashed, undynamic pile of inaccurate nonsense. Again, this clipping does not change if you lower volume or trim levels. This movie obviously has strong re-directed bass content and it is probable that many other AVR's or pre/pros are outputting clipped signals unless care is taken to set the levels so that a worst case high voltage output does not result in clipping. maxmercy is going to produce a test disc soon that will make doing that easy.

For folks that aren't familiar with an oscilloscope's readout, I put arrows to the timebase in seconds (horizontal axis) and the voltage -which is half of a Volt (vertical). That number is what each of the white blocks represent on the graticule (grid).

Here is the player used for the unclipped test: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/379-maxmercys-wcs-test-disc-beta-and-an-o-scope/?p=644

post-1247-0-08217700-1428715119_thumb.jpg

This movie definitely had a fair share of clipping, particularly toward the end, but I enjoyed it a lot, despite those issues.  Overall, the soundtrack wildly exceeded my expectations .  It had an amazing score and good sound design including in the bass, despite being a  "22 Hz" movie.  I believe a lot of the clipping was intentional and part of the sound design.  Then there were the loud scenes toward the end where clipping just seemed to be unavoidable in what was being presented.

Bass-wise, I thought they did a good job, especially for a film with heavy 30 Hz content.  My wife and I thought the launch scene was about as close in character to the Bob Katz Space Shuttle Launch recording as we've heard in a movie, albeit with a bit more going on in the > 30 Hz range to make up for the lack of the extension.  (In contrast, the Space Shuttle recording has peaks in the low 20s Hz and is almost flat from there all the way to 0 Hz.)  The heavy 30 Hz effects seemed very rhythmic rather than droning, and contributed a very powerful tactile experience.  Some of it reminded me of the barrel roll in FOTP.  Overall this is the best bass sounding movie with "2 star extension" that I've heard in a while.

I believe this film is one that could have really benefited from a higher-than-reference dynamic range.  Why?  Well, I believe the fantastic organ score had a lot to do with it.  Organs are very powerful and are usually played in huge spaces with long reverb times.  In these environments, the sound is very diffuse so that a huge amount of acoustic energy may be present, even though the average SPL is fairly low.  I believe this kind of sound gobbles up a ridiculous amounts of headroom in recordings as evidenced by the fact that most organ recordings I have need playback levels 10-15 dB or more higher than typical music.  I believe the heavily clipped dialog at the end resulted from an unfortunate compromise between letting the score carry the emotion of the moment and making room for the dialog.  It seems the director chose to clip/limit the dialog and let the score do its thing.  With an additional 6 dB to work with, this may have been unnecessary.

My playback level was 76 and 81 dBC for treble/mids and bass, respectively, as has been typical for me lately.  I did not experience this movie to be overly loud.  For a few moments near the end, the sound level got very slightly uncomfortable, but only just and only briefly at that.  Most of the time, it just sounded VERY BIG.  The soundstage of the score recording was phenomenal with very convincing depth.  I had no problem with dialog intelligibility including in scenes with heavy action, except for a handful of spoken words where the lack of intelligibility was very clearly intentional.

I do think that if I had played this movie on my system a year or two ago, I'd have likely complained much more about harshness and played it back at a much lower level.  I imagine this may be a serious test of many peoples' room acoustics as well as the output capabilities of their systems.

I recommend picking up the score on CD - it doesn't have top-class dynamic range according to the dynamic range database I've found online, but you do need to play it -10 or louder to get all the subtle details in it, and it's still phenomenally loud at crescendo points!

I usually don't comment after I vote but I guess I am going to be the lone wolf with my 5 star execution vote. I have watched this movie three times and it gets better with each viewing. Thanks to SME and I appreciate his comments as it allowed me to keep this short...I resonate with his thoughts on this movie. This truly is an experience in my dedicated theater room...it might not be perfect, but it gets a 5 star vote from me.

Ok I must be missing something. Other than the clear dynamic range advantage of the panny on the very far right of the first screen grab, the Opoo looks to have the advantage. At 30hz the Opoo is clearly louder while the panny appears capped at the same SPL at the 60hz peak. What am I missing?

post-1247-0-10874700-1428715124_thumb.jpg

Look at this comparison of the waveforms of both player's outputs once more.  It is not possible to level match a dynamic output with a clipped one.  I tried to get the levels close but since it isn't possible to match them, you can't judge the comparison of the either SL based on the highest output. 

The advantage would not be which one is louder than the other one but which sub out is most accurately reproducing the intended mix from the disc.  Because the oppo's waveform shows blatant clipping, it is obviously not reproducing accurately and you can use these SL shots as a comparison of how the oppo's distortion changes the amplitude of what certain frequencies should be, relative to the others in the mix. 

In other words, I posted these SL comparisons to show that dynamic range isn't the only thing being compromised with a clipping output.  It distorts the frequency response of the intended mix as well. 

this is funny.... and sad .... started watching Interstellar last night at a little after 10pm ... first 1 minute, bass came in ... baby is sleeping, neighbors could complain .... movie OFF :-(      Holding this off till weekend or before 9pm tonight.    

Those that have their movie theaters in your private house .... good for you guys.

Yeah, this is another OPPO BDP-105 epic fail. The Panny passes muster and the oppo shits the bed:

380127b7dfdd800761958998a9eb5b1e.png

Wow, I never knew you could measure this and compare the 2 different sources. I am so curious how the WD Media Live player would have performed as that's what I use 99% of the time I watch movies. However, any time I compare Flight of the Phoenix on bluray via Samsung player versus the WD Media player, it seems like the stand alone blu ray layer opens up that move a bit more. Could that be? or is it all in my head? .... though looking at your charts .... maybe I am right?

Nice pictures.  I know that when I uncovered the fixed the headroom limitation with my own setup, the experience was quite liberating.  I absolutely had to go back and watch old scenes because everything sounded so much different.

I imagine that a heavy clipped presentation of the Wormhole scene would sound and feel completely different.

• 3 months later...

20617_861571387245592_491958137294794826

Interstellar (2014) buray region B
dtsHDMA 5.1

Chapter 6, time 0:41:23

Cooper, leaves and launch.

LFE.1

11893942_861571700578894_788176115877251

11060929_861571740578890_825013508486639

11885004_861578223911575_341362348495598

^ Dr. Mann, gets blown out the air-lock. 

LCR Ls Rs (from bottom is L and above it C and above that R and then Ls followed lastly by Rs)

2:07:23

11896190_861578440578220_517142441268394

^ Dr. Mann, gets blown out the air-lock. 

LFE.1

2:07:23

It's okay, Dr. Mann, got blown out and heading towards Mars.  :P

• 2 months later...

After taking a day off to 'work at home' ;) I managed to watch this - I've been putting it off for weeks as the neighbours never bloody go out downstairs, and I noticed them both go out so thought I'd 'multitask' and watch it while moving the mouse around a bit so it looked like I was working :P lol 

As expected :rolleyes: the woman came home about twenty minutes in (FFS, I know the traditional stereotype for an Indian household is the man goes out to work while the woman stays home all day, cooking and looking after the children, but it doesn't mean you have to live it... :rolleyes:) but I kind of thought 'screw it' - it's the middle of the day, there aren't that many loud scenes in it, and I've barely watched anything for months because she's always bloody in...

But anyway...

Couple of scenes where the dialogue was a bit muffled, as expected, but overall I do like the mix, dynamic range and sharp transients.  It was better at home than at the cinema (obviously ;)) but the cinema was quite cool, in that it's rare you feel vibrations through the seat!  It was plenty loud enough at the 'normal' cinema so the IMAX must have been deafening, going from what others have said.

Personally I think this one can be filed into the 'classics' pile for its vision, scale and presentation (and I liked the varying screen ratios that drive projector owners mad :P) but I'm sure others will disagree  lol

Want to get my mother round to watch it as she likes space stuff (and it will be fun to scare her with the opening scene ;) haha) but I think I'll have to wait until downstairs goes on holiday or moves out...

Archived