Luke's Gjallarhorn/Othorn Discussion

lukeamdman

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm adding a center channel as well.

When sitting in my normal seat there's a great stereo image so I never cared that there wasn't a center.  However, we're adding seating for a total of 4 seats on the back row, and when sitting on the far outside on either side, the stereo image is gone and all you hear is the speaker closest to you...

I just purchased a used/mint AE TD15M, and I'm going to pull a SEOS-12 waveguide and DNA-360 CD from one of my old speakers collecting dust.  I'll go full active and build a 4cu.ft box for the 15" driver ported to ~45hz.  

Yes! A center, finally! :D

Boooo.... it's not the same as the left and right.

Do these have a name? Looks great with the finished SEOS24 cab. :)

It'd cost ~3k to build a matching center, and it'd be way too large even with just a single 18.  I'd have to get a projector and AT screen, which isn't in the budget.  

I'm with Scott. F that budget Luke. That word shouldn't even exist when it comes to AV. Seriously though since it's just not in the budget NOW couldn't you still build a matching center and continue using a pair till it IS in the budget? Your gear deserves a pj and AT screen man.

Btw your mains are ridiculous. :D  Damn my 15" depth..

Holy shit, Luke is smiling someone call a doctor, something must be wrong! :lol:

Are you pleased with how they sound?  Are you running them full range?  You gotta take some video of your stove moving around upstairs from the vibration (Dark Horse might be good for that). 

Luke,

Forget matching the center, it won't fit as they are too close together.  However, I have put my JBL's close together and the center channel does make the vocals sound much better from seat to seat BUT the only way this works is to get an AT screen. Get the screen!  You will love it.  DIY and it will be cheaper than a TV. 

Oh, Bad ass mains! I love it.  How do they sound? They are the same CD's as the JTR 212's? 

You guys know that I am now using the cheap 215xl berries?  Yes, they are that good in my room. 

Holy shit, Luke is smiling someone call a doctor, something must be wrong! :lol:

Are you pleased with how they sound?  Are you running them full range?  You gotta take some video of your stove moving around upstairs from the vibration (Dark Horse might be good for that). 

Ha!  

I'm thrilled with them.  The sound is exactly what I was looking for.  

When running full range, I put a 21hz HPF on them (25hz cabinet tune), and they extend nicely to about 20hz.  With 1,000w, this keeps excursion maximum right at 14mm where the drivers are rated, and I'd need ~3,000w to bring them to the 25mm xmech.  

I just downloaded that track and will give it a whirl!!

I thought some of you might find this amusing.  

A week ago I had an AVS member and his family over for a demo.  He's been to my place several times before to hear the horns when I first built them and then again for my GTG last year.

I was running my system for normal listening (how it's EQ'd in the picture above) where by the time you reach 18-19hz where the response peaks it's 11-12db hot over the mains.  

After some music demos, his kids requested "Bass Head" by Bassnectar.  It didn't take long for them to tell their dad that "your system has louder bass" or something along those lines, and you could tell they were not impressed with this song they were very familiar with.  At the moment, he's running a single HSU VTF-15H.  

I then asked them if they wanted the bass louder, which they quickly responded "YES!" to, so I obliged and bumped the sub trim a good 15-20db.  Once the bass got to around 130db it finally put a smile on their face and they wanted to hear all kinds of bass tracks and movie clips.  

Also, just last Thursday I had Mike over to help me stack the new mains.  Now, for the mains I hadn't EQ'd the bass at all yet, meaning it was about 20db hot over the mains by 25hz...  After a few clips, Mike's absolutely loving it.  I mentioned I was going to EQ the bass down for the GTG, and he replied emphatically that I shouldn't change anything!

I know the bass running hot might not be for everyone, but I have yet to have anyone tell me otherwise after they've auditioned my system.  I've had dozens upon dozens folks from AVS and HTS over and they all left with a smile they couldn't wipe off their face.  I suppose my taste for bass isn't all that uncommon :)  

It depends on how what you listen to is mixed.  Bassnectar is weaksauce so I could see turning it up.  I doubt they would like the song I remixed 20db hot unless you like a muddy mix.

I thought you ran your mains full range.  So 2 channel music has no sub? 

Your taste for 20dB hot bass is not at all uncommon in certain groups, just look at the car sub crowd.  Then there is the audiophile crowd who are super critical listeners who could pick apart all of our systems.  Some people like chocolate and some like vanilla. 

It depends on how what you listen to is mixed.  Bassnectar is weaksauce so I could see turning it up.  I doubt they would like the song I remixed 20db hot unless you like a muddy mix.

I thought you ran your mains full range.  So 2 channel music has no sub? 

Your taste for 20dB hot bass is not at all uncommon in certain groups, just look at the car sub crowd.  Then there is the audiophile crowd who are super critical listeners who could pick apart all of our systems.  Some people like chocolate and some like vanilla. 

I agree about how it's mixed will change sub level that is desired.  Some tracks I bump it up, others I notch it down.

I either run the mains full range with no subs or crossed at 100hz with the subs.  On the MiniDSP I have separate configuration file for each way.

I wholeheartedly approve of your inflated ULF curve :)

Off topic, sort of... Ricci mentioned the Othorn cab will accommodate casters and handles. Any particular place? Ideally the back bottom corner could have a wedge cut out for corner casters like the OS.

I wholeheartedly approve of your inflated ULF curve :)

Off topic, sort of... Ricci mentioned the Othorn cab will accommodate casters and handles. Any particular place? Ideally the back bottom corner could have a wedge cut out for corner casters like the OS.

Josh would need to confirm, but I think you could angle the back/bottom corner of the box without any negative affects if you wanted to attach casters.

Just make sure the casters are rattle free... 

Josh would need to confirm, but I think you could angle the back/bottom corner of the box without any negative affects if you wanted to attach casters.

Just make sure the casters are rattle free... 

yup.

Archived