Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....

vxds11

While slowly completing this project I jumped over to another fun adventure in configuring a new HTPC. Here's a web shot of this beaut with a parts list. This one is going to be an ongoing one so definitely no rush on this one.....Any suggestions on configurations would be great! J.River, Mediaportal, REW, SL....etc.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8qCTTW 

silverstone-lc16m-htpc-slika-41582348_zp

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While slowly completing this project I jumped over to another fun adventure in configuring a new HTPC. Here's a web shot of this beaut with a parts list. This one is going to be an ongoing one so definitely no rush on this one.....Any suggestions on configurations would be great! J.River, Mediaportal, REW, SL....etc.

It is a nice beefy machine for sure. Do you need all that power though? Upscaling to 4k? Gaming? Streaming to other clients?

I don't think you can beat jriver for pq/sq though. Madvr for pq and audiolense/acourate for sq is a killer combo.

All of the above. I know the i7-4790k has a decent TDP, but moderate overclocking and other multi-tasking while being objectively silent is tough. That's why i picked that PSU. MadVR is still the pq king!? I messed with that like 10 years ago! Awesome. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Waiting on Acry-Tech to send another gallon of Duratex, which probably won't be here until the New Year, but happy so far.

*Warning on Duratex application*: I tried to use a foam roller with the spray-grade. DO NOT go that route, you will regret it.

IMG_20151220_083319_zpsbx7rc3d3.jpg

Here is The spray-grade applied with a foam brush, smooth and dries like plastic, which was intended for the inside baffle:

IMG_20151206_080502_zpsouynznej.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, since I'm close to completing this, I'm in need of some constructive criticism regarding power.  I have a brand new inuke 6Kdsp sitting here and seriously considering putting it on ebay and going with a fp10kq. Hopefully someone will jump in and give some pros & cons. We have 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits JUST for amps with nothing else sharing them. The wife and I had a conversation about it today and she believes the inuke may not live up to my expectations since she knows me more than I do. She knows I put a lot of time (what little time I had, a year) and effort into this project, and knows I'll be kicking rocks if something doesn't go right. With our budget, it's: 

1) Keep inuke, get another and a Dash-V

2) Get fp10kq and a minidsp.

3) A-K5R and a Dash-V

One member suggested a pair of Gen 2 Crowns bridged, but don't know much about those, to be honest, I don't know how they'll perform with a pair of DO 18's let alone DO 18's and a pair of DO 12's.

Cloners and minidsp just seem like the way to go for some reason. I just hope you guys point me in the right direction.

Only issue I have with the clones is the lack of a UL listing.  If anything ever happened, insurance would likely try to get out of paying. 

Out of those options, and even though I haven't worked with Bosso's amps, I'd go with option 3.  Then again, are those SI HT18 subs?  Those would likely pair up pretty well with the iNukes and a Dash-V.

Uhhh number 3 Dom. Yah definitely number 3. ;)

Ha I knew A-block would have the right answer right away  :lol: One caveat to that is how the convo started with the misses. She asked, "Why do we need 8 subwoofers again?" My witty come back was, "At least they're not ALL 18's". I'm still trying to figure out how to signal shape all of them at once, and would the A-K5R be enough for 8 subs pounding away. That's my dilemma. 

Only issue I have with the clones is the lack of a UL listing.  If anything ever happened, insurance would likely try to get out of paying. 

Out of those options, and even though I haven't worked with Bosso's amps, I'd go with option 3.  Then again, are those SI HT18 subs?  Those would likely pair up pretty well with the iNukes and a Dash-V.

Dave! Sure a 6Kdsp paired with a Dash-V maybe ok for 4 18's, but there's no guarantee I'll see the kind of response I want due to the lack of power. I'm just thinking I won't have the headroom I need. (Can you tell I don't want to hear a "I told u so" from the better half). :huh:

Dave! Sure a 6Kdsp paired with a Dash-V maybe ok for 4 18's, but there's no guarantee I'll see the kind of response I want due to the lack of power. I'm just thinking I won't have the headroom I need. (Can you tell I don't want to hear a "I told u so" from the better half). :huh:

I'm pretty sure there's only one way to do something once, the (no-holds barred) right way.  I always say go with your gut and do it with gusto.  So my choice of those would be option 3.  And I went back and perused the thread but wasn't really sure how many of what you were trying to run and integrate.  Are the 12s for midbass duty?  Why not JBL 2226H 15" midbass drivers. :D

Archived