Push Pull Slot Loaded quad SI HT18s

MemX

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Er...

Calibrated UMM-6 microphones will no longer be shipped outside the US??

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html

The umm6 has a bit of a bad rep anyway. If you want USB then http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

The rising response looks like your meter cal file to me.

If you click "Change cal" on the measurement and remove the meter cal file then it will flatten out if that is the cause

Just went back and checked - I don't have a Cal file for the SPL meter? :unsure:  I calibrated the mic to the output on-screen using the REW SPL Meter section's calibration but I couldn't find a Cal file for the meter itself.  I think there are cal files for radioshack meters on HTS but I didn't see one for this UK-bought SPL meter, unless I am blind and missed it lol

I had them on C-Weighted, though.  This graph is what it looks like if I take C-weighted off.

I think I will have to go with the umik, then, thanks for the link  :)  As it comes with a Cal file it should make things a lot clearer! 

post-932-0-02307900-1410086314_thumb.jpg

Hey 3II3 I was about to order the UMM-6 but now I'm curious why you said it has a bad rep?

They seem to be physically quite brittle and have a higher noise floor then the umik, particularly at higher frequencies so not such an issue for sub measurements but still. The umik is also more convenient to use in REW because it has a known sensitivity, ie no SPL meter required. Basically I can't see a reason to get the umm over the umik.

Hey MemX I stick my head in the forums over here to find you have a thread. Small world!

One thing about the umik is make sure the usb cable clicks and goes in to the mic more than it hangs out. I spent a couple of hours with mine not being found by windows not realising that I almost *felt* I had to break the mic pushing it in.

One thing about the umik is make sure the usb cable clicks and goes in to the mic more than it hangs out. I spent a couple of hours with mine not being found by windows not realising that I almost *felt* I had to break the mic pushing it in.

haha  I spent two hours chasing what I thought was a broken/mis-wired connection / broken amp, only to realise I needed to stop being a pansy and actually push the speakon in and turn it till it clicked... :facepalm: :lol:

I will have to get a UMIK and a soundcard ordered ASAP - my second sub is almost ready and I will need to give back the SPL Meter and soundcard I have very generously been lent when I pick it up... lol

Hey MemX I stick my head in the forums over here to find you have a thread. Small world!

I am omnipresent, don't you know :ph34r: ;):lol:

MemX at a close mic sweep shouldn't the response not show effects from the room? Should be a typical sealed sub 12db roll-off right?

Er, yeah...  I think you're right... :blink:

I have no idea what's going on really, watching me attempt measuring is like giving a monkey a typewriter and waiting for him to write Shakespeare... :lol:

Hahaha all I read was "giving a monkey a typewriter" and I started lol. You'll get it man. A monkey could run circles around me on a PC so I'll be in the same boat as you trust me. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I ordered an UMIK last night and it didn't mention being oos.....hope I didn't get the last one.

I didn't know that either. :(

Paul told me. He's my PC guide/mentor. Idk wtf I'm doing without him and Dave. Once I start using it I'm sure I'll pick it up quick but to set it up and all that bs is not something I'm looking forward too. I gotta go to BB today and a buy a laptop. Mic should be here this week.

Ah ok didn't realise you had a calibrated mic system. Never really been a fan of Aud. for some strange reason I went from a MC1 with a silky sound and logic 7 to that (basic version of Aud.) and with that a flannel/veil was thrown over the sound but that could have been down to a number of reasons.

I just thought I'd use the Audyssey mic to see what it graphs like - I've seen links to graphs on AVS showing it is pretty much bang on a calibrated mic to 7Hz or so, so if I can get that low with it then I might not bother picking up a $140 (after shipping) CSL-calibrated mic to get the extra 2Hz to 5Hz! :P

I've got Audyssey XT32 on my AVR (Onkyo 818) - I've been very impressed with it so far, tamed the boominess of my corner/alcove-located ported SVS like you wouldn't believe, and seemed to make it a lot 'tighter', presumably down to the time-alignment element of it :)

The PPSL is an entirely different beast, though - it's almost like it's not there, like I just have full-range speakers, it blends so well - it's spooky :ph34r:

Yeah no point in the new mic if you have identified that it pretty much bang on.

The best I got with Onkyo was a 875. Couldn't get away with it.

Linkwitz built some infinite baffle speakers with a open baffle push pull arrangement from memory (might be wrong) so you are on the right path.

• 1 month later...

Right, well, ignoring my REW issues and the fact the Audyssey mic doesn't even register with the soundcard when plugged in, grrr...

... I thought I'd upload a few pics of the finished articles in-situ.  My original plan was to stack them at quarter-heights with a riser in the middle but it was hard enough getting these two in place... Just about killed me getting them indoors, and that was with help from someone who is not weedy! lol  I have only got the one place to put them so stacked they are, although as they're in an alcove I'm hoping they're seeing the equivalent of 1/32th space?? which should hopefully provide some boost. lol

In the longer term, if I can ever actually afford a house, I will have the option to separate them and smooth some room response, but that's an option to be explored nearer the time!

Anyway, I love the finish on them, it goes really nicely with the rest of my darker wood furniture :) and I love the sound.  If I can ever get REW working I'll attempt some distortion measurements to see if I can measure any benefits that the PPSL design is supposed to provide!  In day to day listening they have so much headroom it's ridiculous, but in my c.2100cuft room I have just enough cone area and excursion to satisfy Bosso's calculations for reaching Reference, so they should go nice and low to Reference once I've sorted EQ :)

Massive thanks again to James for his hard work - he honoured his original price for the work, despite them taking way longer than anticipated! but I felt like I was robbing him so I gave him some more lol.   If I was in a better position financially I would have given him more but hopefully I can come back to him in the future if/when I get a dedicated cinema room and want to double these up again! :D

Anyway, thanks for listening :) and for you all being an inspiration :) (and a bad influence ;) lol)

Cheers!

(For reference, the TV is 55" and the bookshelves are Ikea Billy(?) CD racks, the tall ones that are about 6.5' tall, and my room has 7'9" ceilings.)

post-932-0-12527600-1415757342_thumb.jpg

post-932-0-69519200-1415757361_thumb.jpg

post-932-0-97688700-1415757376_thumb.jpg

post-932-0-15115600-1415757392_thumb.jpg

post-932-0-09595800-1415757409_thumb.jpg

post-932-0-87950800-1415757420_thumb.jpg

M,

As you've discovered, the Aud mic needs a preamp.

As you've also discovered, the C weighting needs to be defeated.

What it looks like the problem might be is a high noise floor at low frequencies. Try raising the level of the sweep to 105dB or 110dB with the close mic measurement and see if it changes when exceeding the noise floor. This is a good practice anyway when measuring subwoofer range frequencies.

BTW, the AVS thread that showed the Aud mic to be accurate against other measurement mics was BS. I measured it against my ACO Pacific rig and it certainly is not accurate. Common sense should tell you that a 50 pence mic is not as accurate as a 1000 guinea mic. ;)

The Aud mic starts to roll off at 30 Hz and is down -10dB by 5 Hz, assuming a good mic preamp and power supply.

BTW... OUTSTANDING work on the sub design, construction and finish. :);)B):wub:

You are too kind, good sir ^_^ although I can only take credit for the first of those three things; without James, my fellow forumite, gentleman, box builder and generally a handyman extraordinaire, they would still be 2D and on paper! :lol:  B)

I've only really cranked them up to near their potential a couple of times - playing Tyga's 'Rack City' at -5.5 with the SW trim boosted +13dB, I was getting indicated 119dB peaks at the MLP, which is about 10 feet from the subs, and my room was crying for mercy! :D   If I play them at that level on music I will get the cops called, everyone had said how much bass travels but I was all like "meh, it will be fine, it won't be that bad...", but clearly I have not really experienced quad 18s in a 20x14x8 first floor apartment room before...  LOL

Roll on getting a calibrated mic ordered, identifying the lower end EQ needed and, hopefully, EQing them and using them to their full potential to achieve Reference as far down as I can!  B) (Thanks for the hints above!)

Thanks for all your inspiration, Bosso, you are an asset to the forum and community :)

Those are gorgeous!! That finish looks great man. I love seeing those drivers too. It's adds an industrial element to the room. I'm sure whatever you paid it was worth it since James did great work.

Hope you get your mic situation straightened out. It was a pita on my system too and that was with Paul's help. The UMIK is a great mic for $100 it's just that it has a 125db limit on it so I'm sure your subs will clip it. Only thing to do is take measurements below those levels and know going in anything above that will be clipped to hell.

I do feel bad for that TV. :P

Archived