Build thread: 4 dual-opposed subwoofers

TimVG

IMG_0054.jpg

I have to to disappoint you as far as measurements go, laptop battery went dead and didn't have my charger with me.

The sub responded as simulated in the close range. Unfortunately he only had one place to put which was not optimal at all (mid room, not near large walls), despite that, with a low shelf filter enabled I was able to achieve a fairly flat response to 20hz. Earlier testing showed that the drivers had much more in them than the Xti1000 could deliver (my guess is in the low range it's not quite up spec) so I decided to enable a 20hz 24db high pass filter, as the response dropped below that anyhow, and this helped with more SPL capabilities overall in case the source material has a lot of subsonic content.

I've fired up two subs already, with two more coming tomorrow (had to put on an extra coat of paint as I wasn't fully happy with the result, looks fine now).

Getting a good gain structure going with the FP14K, the minidsp and my onkyo receiver was a PITA but I got it going and no issues with program material so far.

On to the subs..These things are great, even though it doesn't measure much more below 10hz it's definitely noticable. A lot more stuff is shaking than with my caps (which are flat to 12hz), could be my mic, soundcard... And this is with only two subs mind you. I'm going to go for a nice house curve with the extra headroom that'll become available.. I've put the caps up for sale locally, I'm that happy :)

I'm thinking about going for a DCX (or do I want the DEQ?) from behringer instead of the minidsp.. The voltage limitation sucks.

Measurements and pics coming somewhere in the next 24h ;)

And no, I don't think I'll be needing another 4 of these. I can pretty much play anything at reference now without audible stress on the system (or the occasional port noise from the caps with port plug). I was surprised that the material <12hz is so noticable. I've got good output to 8hz or so now (not much more I can do in this room I'm afraid) which doesn't seem like a lot lower on paper, but when comparing A/B it's a no brainer. I envy the guys with better room gain who can go even deeper. On the other hand, my waterfalls are about as good as it gets. No ringing of energy at all. Which is probably one of the reasons why I like the sound better in my rooms than in most I've been in.

I added a little housecurve below 80hz as I rarely listen at reference. The 10hz rolloff is strange as the stuff below that feels a lot stronger than showed on the graph. I had strong output with the captivators (with port plug) to 12hz as well, but these can make the floor ripple in a way that the captivators simply couldn't. This is the first time I've ever noticed the big fuss with the opening scene from star trek :-)

Perhaps it's the soundcard.

Nice

Not being familiar those pro audio mains,.. I zoomed in and saw HK. Still familiar w/HK, I looked them up, nice stuff.

For HT, most pro audio offerings can easily out-perform most other approaches. Certainly there are exceptions, and there's some fine hifi style loudspeakers. But I've listened to a lot of speakers in my room, many of them pro boxes, one can sure do a lot worse. I settled on a hybrid type myself, w/Seaton.

Hard to say about the response roll-off, but yeah, ... it does appear electronic in nature.

Great results and thanks for sharing

I did a nearfield response of the woofers and it drops like a ball below 10hz as well (looks close to a 48db rolloff, the rise below 8hz from LP measurment is simply room gain), which doesn't add up with the 12db octave roll off it should have instead. Looking at the excursion, amp draw and effects in room.. I'd say I'd say it's time I get a new measurement kit.

And I agree, typical hi-fi speakers are not set up for these kind of SPL levels, they turn harsh from distortion very quick. The first thing I noticed coming from hi-fi speakers was that these pro speakers played loud without actually sounding loud. For the money they're a real bargain over here, ~€300 a piece.. I see that they're more expensive in the USA at ~$600 a piece. Stil, you guys have lots of other stuff that's a PITA to get over here. Subwoofer drivers being one of them.

I need an extra cable so I wasn't able to do that today. I don't think anything is rolling off that early as the output is there (more so than with the captivators) but it's just not registering on the measurement. I'll try to pickup a jack-to-jack cable tomorrow.

The XTi is being used by a friend of mine, along with one sub just like mine. I'm using an LG 14k clone with 4 of them. It adds up now though, the calibration of the sound card was just what I needed. Total cost was about ~€2200,- incl. the amplifier. That's just a little sharp of what you pay for an SVS PB13U over here.

The only thing limiting me now is the voltage limit on the minidsp.

You know, I have two spare captivators lying around. Can I get an aye for sealing them up and taking on the dip at 7,5hz? Then again, promised the missus to sell the caps..

Sure, although I'm pretty sure the power rating isn't anywhere near 1000w @ 8 ohm down there. That's why I insterted a HPF at 20hz, to relieve the amp a bit. Due to placement issues he wasn't getting much response below anyhow, so it's not a big deal in his case.

Same goes for the iNukes some people rave about, I've had these amps side by side and I don't think they're good subamps at all. The XTi 4k and up are much better from what I've heard, haven't had one in my hands though.

Still, bang for the buck as far as new equipment goes, nothing beats the FP+ clones. Just ask them for the schematics and put it through a checkup with a local technician/engineer (if you don't have the time like me to learn how to DIY)

• 2 months later...

Archived