REW phase alignment procedure.

jay michael

Hey everyone. I'm going to first off admit that I am not an expert REW user. I've drudged around the internet for a few years trying to find a reliable procedure for executing a proper phase alignment between tops and subs without spending money on something like Smaart. There have been some tools added to REW recently to assist in this, but I've never come across a proper explanation or tutorial on how to do it. Piecing together some bits and pieces i've found from a few different sources I think I may have it somewhat figured it out. Warning, I filmed this after a LONG hot day and was pretty burnt out. You'll notice I miss-spoke a few times towards the end using the wrong descriptors for what I was trying to say. Otherwise It should be easy enough to follow what I was doing. I've since used this procedure a few more times setting up my system in different configurations and I've been getting repeatable results that seem to make sense and sound really good. Perhaps this is old news to some of you but I thought I would share it to see if you might find it useful, or absolutely shoot holes in it if you think its out to lunch. End goal is I want a repeatable process that I can rely on, and maybe do a proper tutorial down the road to help others out.  It seems like its one of those mystery processes that people ask a lot about. Let me know what you think, good or bad. 

A little to ad to this. When you start playing with different delay values you may find a couple that gives good additive summation, maybe even 1 or 2 with positive polarity and others with polarity inverted. What I've been doing is taking screen shots of each and at the end looking at each screen shot and seeing which one has the best or smoothest frequency response as well as the best phase traces that line up both at the crossover frequency and as far away above and below the crossover frequency. You really want to keep an eye out for null ripples forming above and below the crossover point. There should be 1 particular delay value that has the best combination of additive summation and alignment of the phase lines below and above the crossover point, that point should be your ideal place to set the system. Note: It may be worth trying a handful of crossover points as well, saving screen shots of all of the different delay values as each crossover point may give slightly different results. 

Phase / time alignment is one of those things that still has a lot of voodoo surrounding it. Some would say it's overblown, others would say it's the final frontier. One thing is for sure it's a lot easier to dial it in outdoors! 

• 3 weeks later...