1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Finding Nemo (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.04dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.38dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  This is an oldie but a goodie.  Really stellar work on the sound design that makes it the perfect complement to the fantastic animation and fun plot.  The mixing is generally good, with the only clipping I heard in the famous Darla Tapping scene, which was probably intentional. 

My only complaint about this movie is that we (myself included) tend to think of it more nostalgically than it deserves.  It was one of those mythical movies with bass for a few years, but look at the graph: it's terribly humped and peaks significantly at 32Hz.  While it's technically a 5 Stars movie for extension, the -10dB point is actually 23Hz if we disregard the 1 very short transient effect that goes from DC to 1.5Hz for a brief moment and isn't even noticed during viewing. Finding Nemo really games the system for that 5 Stars extension rating, but them's the rules.

I like the flick a lot, but would have to deduct at least 1 star, and maybe two, from the execution rating due to the fact that it's actually a 2 Star extension movie (tho not technically), and that it's a very humped graph.  Otherwise, a fantastic movie with very immersive sound, plot and visuals. 

PvA:

post-17-0-23254400-1393281962_thumb.png

Archived