The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Bao

Sounds like World WarZ grenade scene is what your after if your looking for a sweep.

I just re-watched it - very good. Duration not as long as FotP and EoT - but very good - made my clothes move.

I will try the first explosion in the Hurt Locker again - i think that one should be good.

I found a file named "Bossobass Custom Settings.zip" from May of 2013.  If that's not it please let me know.  

That's a start, for sure.  Send a PM to the respective parties if you need more help.

Any chance of doing Leon: The Professional.  It's a directors cut with a black cover,  I think that might have some low ambient bass.  There were a few moments that really took me off guard.  

I have it measured, at least the one from Netflix.  I'll post it when it's position is up in the backlog of measurements.  :)

bao - check out the Bossobass system thread in the Bass Systems part of the forum - there are several images in there showing 9 has content down to low single-digit Hz at quite high levels, but as noted above, it sounds like you prefer distinct, separate sweeps, rather than full-bandwidth content.

What system are you running?

I have it measured, at least the one from Netflix.  I'll post it when it's position is up in the backlog of measurements.  :)

Thanks.  I hope it has the bass like the one you can buy has.  I have read where sometimes they don't give you the best sound track when you get them from places like Netflix.  Although I could be wrong.  I don't know if that's how you measure now.  Plus I wanted to say that Live Die Repeat(edge of tomorrow) is pretty damn good.  That sweep in the beginning is just un-real.  Not many movies make my room shudder like that one does.  

bao - check out the Bossobass system thread in the Bass Systems part of the forum - there are several images in there showing 9 has content down to low single-digit Hz at quite high levels, but as noted above, it sounds like you prefer distinct, separate sweeps, rather than full-bandwidth content.

What system are you running?

It is upstairs in two story wood frame house.

28' x 23' x 8'

Carpet but room is somewhat "bright"

Subs: two sealed JL Audio f113 Fathom subs, -3 dB at 18 Hz, -10 dB at 16 Hz

Front L/R: B&W 802 Diamond, 34Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis

Center: B&W HTM2 Diamond, 41Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis

Surrounds: B&W 804 Diamonds, 38Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis

Back Surrounds: Old Paradigms

Amp: Parasound Halo A51

250 watts RMS x 5, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 Ω, all channels driven

400 watts RMS x 5, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 Ω, all channels driven

Pre/Pro: Integra DHC 80.3 with Audyssey XT32

Front channels and plasma TV are along the long 28' wall.

One sub is on front wall and other sub is behind MLP on rear wall but strangely neither is at middle of wall.

I used REW while moving them around (what a pain) to try get a good response at MLP.

I then run XT32 with a "close" mic pattern around the MLP. XT32 handles two subs "sort of". It measures each one.

Audyssey set all XO to 40 except center which got 45 Hz.

LPF of LFE: 120

Subwoofer Phase: 180 degrees

It sounds awesome (e.g. EoT, FotP) but i think i will buy some HF room treatments.

Also, nothing is on spikes or special "pads" but i think i may invest in SW pads since it is upstairs.

Also, I use it a lot (maybe 50%) for music.

Snowpiercer (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.66dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (10Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.04dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  This is a semi-interesting movie, with pretty good bass content.  I don't recall it being over the top (viewed the disc some months ago), but it had good effects and use of bass in several places.  The movie will appeal to some, and turn off others.  (In my best Sam Jackson voice) It's The Hunger Games on a Motherfuckin' Train.

post-17-0-93541400-1413939020_thumb.png

I enjoyed Xmen DOFP.

I ran the subs +8dB over reference, thanks to the level rating, and it worked out excellently.

Capped a few scenes. As is normally the case, the big 30-60 Hz effects get the majority vote but the ULF gets the wows in my HT. So, those are the scenes I capped, except for the stadium rising, which was asked for.

27eec0047e0015019e04133d7ac181cf.png

ff860736ec1f2bba99018ca0162dc570.png

322a63a9d1915c1a0e9e52cadc1f23fa.png

ec9e2f207c939ffbf0233754e48ada4b.png

4ef63a08a543def3bafd10bbf93b3ef0.png

I hope they will also add the theatrical mix to the BD...most home mixes tend to skimp on dynamics. I would pay extra for a BD that I knew included the theatrical mix.

Very good to hear that it is unfiltered, though!

JSS

+1 to that, ref ongoing discussions on calibration issues, with the theatrical you know what you have, and at least it has the best possible dynamics and sound quality.

• 2 weeks later...