The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Saw "Fantastic Beasts" in the RPX/Atmos tonight.  I liked the movie a lot for what it was.  I thought the sound design and mixing were very good, IMO with good surround use that I could actually appreciate in the theater for a change.  As far as bass, it seemed to offer a lot more mid-bass slam than deep stuff, but that could have just been the theater system not being calibrated well.  Still, I suspect this track is filtered at 30 Hz.  The dialog seemed a bit too rolled off at the top, and I struggled with dialog intelligibility repeatedly.  That may just be an issue with the playnack system.  Hopefully it'll come through more clearly when I watch it at home.  I really hope they don't screw it up if they do a home remix.  It had some impressive dynamics in parts, and I didn't notice any clipping.

All that said, I thanked my wife when I got home for dragging me out to hear an inferior sound system because it helps me better appreciate how good my setup at home is.  In terms of clarity, pop, and imaging at *all frequencies*, it's a night and day difference.

Thanks!

I have the 3D version arriving tomorrow from Amazon.

Blind buy for me.

Looking forward to watching this projected to 120" in my HT.

I will have my Crowson Level 2 Transducer System switched on.

Should be interesting.        

Star Trek: Beyond was every bit as poor in the bass department as I expected from those graphs. Hollow, one-note sounding booms only. There is a sweep early in that I'm sure could've been mighty good fun without that rolloff.

Movie was alrigh, not as good as the previous ones but certainly good entertainment value.

Now that I run Crowsons, the infra is definitely experienced.  When I get more time with them  more properly integrate them, I'll do a proper review in the gear section.  Short story is Crowsons = (or nearly so) Nearfield Subs but with much less cubic footage.  Can't comment on slam, saw some of X-Men last night at -20dBRef, you need to listen at -7dB or preferably -4dB or higher to properly experience slam, IMO.  Will hopefully finish it tonight.  So far decent film.

JSS  

Where do you have the "intensity level" set at on your Crowson D-150 amp?

I have mine set at "4."

Also have you watched WoW with the Crowson's in place?

In the first scene on Enders Game, when Mazer Rackham's ship flies into the mothership, is there a lot of clipping on the big explosion?  I've heard some unpleasant sounds coming from one of my subs (PSA V1500) during that scene.  If the other (XV15SE) makes any unwanted sounds, it's a lot less than the V1500.  The subs are run a few dB hot from where Audyssey (MultEq XT32, no dynamic EQ) sets them.  I've listened to some of my other bass heavy movies and so far this scene seems to be the only troublemaker.  I'm trying to figure out if something's off on the V1500, or if that scene just has a lot of clipping.  The graphs earlier in the thread don't have this particular scene.

Here are a few screen caps via SpecLab of Marauders. I think I might get some time today to turn it up and get some better measurements. 

Way You Killed My Wife:

MaraudersTheWayYouKilledMyWife.jpg

That's one of the things that could happen:

MaraudersThatsOneOfTheThingsThatCouldHap

Frame a dead man:

MaraudersFrameAdeadMan.png

This one caught me off guard.  Look far left - the hot spot right below 5  Hz. This is when a stop light changes from yellow to red:

Marauders5HzStopLight.jpg

No one thinks they are the bad guy:

MaraudersNoOneThinksTheyAreTheBadGuy.jpg

Bank robberty with main character:

MaraudersBankRobWithFBImainCharacter2.jp

And the whole movie is like this. Tons of bass and LFE surprises throughout the movie. I'm telling ya this movie is #1 on my list. It literally sits at the very top after watching it at a low/ish volume late last night. 

In the first scene on Enders Game, when Mazer Rackham's ship flies into the mothership, is there a lot of clipping on the big explosion?  I've heard some unpleasant sounds coming from one of my subs (PSA V1500) during that scene.  If the other (XV15SE) makes any unwanted sounds, it's a lot less than the V1500.  The subs are run a few dB hot from where Audyssey (MultEq XT32, no dynamic EQ) sets them.  I've listened to some of my other bass heavy movies and so far this scene seems to be the only troublemaker.  I'm trying to figure out if something's off on the V1500, or if that scene just has a lot of clipping.  The graphs earlier in the thread don't have this particular scene.

How old is the AVR?  Early implementations of MultEQ XT had a 'bass boost' problem as a result of doing volume normalization.  That or your subs are receiving such a hot signal as to clip the preamp, which can happen more easily than you think, esp if you run subs 'hot' from the AVR.

Yes, Ender's Game's soundtrack clips too.  But if you are hearing bad noises from one sub over another, either you are reaching mechanical limits, or you have reached the limitations of your signal chain.  Most of the time, while a clipped track will sound bad, it will sound bad in every speaker, and not as bad as mechanical limits or amp clipping being reached sounds, IME.

JSS 

Here are a few screen caps via SpecLab:

Way You Killed My Wife:

MaraudersTheWayYouKilledMyWife.jpg

That's one of the things that could happen:

MaraudersThatsOneOfTheThingsThatCouldHap

Frame a dead man:

MaraudersFrameAdeadMan.png

Dumb question... but what are these from?

I just Amazon searched for the first one, thinking it was a film title I hadn't heard of, only to get zero products come back.  (And now I'm probably on a list of people to be concerned about... :lol:)

Dumb question... but what are these from?

I just Amazon searched for the first one, thinking it was a film title I hadn't heard of, only to get zero products come back.  (And now I'm probably on a list of people to be concerned about... :lol:)

Oops, forgot to put that part in. They are from the movie Marauders (mentioned earlier in this thread I believe). I picked it up and spent most of last night screen capturing and rewinding it thinking things like "was that 5 Hz hot spot really from a stop light?" I'm going to post more screen captures now...

• Like 1

How old is the AVR?  Early implementations of MultEQ XT had a 'bass boost' problem as a result of doing volume normalization.  That or your subs are receiving such a hot signal as to clip the preamp, which can happen more easily than you think, esp if you run subs 'hot' from the AVR.

Yes, Ender's Game's soundtrack clips too.  But if you are hearing bad noises from one sub over another, either you are reaching mechanical limits, or you have reached the limitations of your signal chain.  Most of the time, while a clipped track will sound bad, it will sound bad in every speaker, and not as bad as mechanical limits or amp clipping being reached sounds, IME.

JSS 

The receiver is a new Denon X4300H.  Audyssey set both trims at -9.  I'm not sure if that answers your question about receiving a hot signal from the AVR.  I described the problem to PSA when I first noticed it.  They sent me a replacement woofer which I already installed.  The problem is much less than it was, but unless the audio was badly clipped, I wouldn't expect any bad noises from the subs at -8 MV and only running them a few dB hot at the AVR.  With 2 good subs in a med/large room, I should be able to crank them pretty hard before hearing any break up.  I did notice a small "pop" each during a scene of The Force Awakens and 13 Hours last night (forget what scenes).  Since the other sub is fine, I still wonder if something is amiss with the V1500.  I just wanted to know everything I could before contacting PSA again.  Other than the beginning of Edge of Tomorrow, are there any particular scenes that would be a good test for whether the sub is acting normal or not?  Can I assume that I should be able to run reference volume with no sub boost (leave the trims where Audyssey set them at -9) without problems if everything is OK with the subs?

Is that a mic capture or DSP sub out capture with a house curve in place?  That is significant Infrasonic content.

JSS

That's a mic capture (using a calibrated UMM6) at the MLP. Now that I changed from the wimpy Inuke 6k to a BossoBass 14k I lost the LT and only have a low shelf filter with the MiniDSP NanoAVR so my response is measurably flat to below 10 Hz (as low as the OmniMic software digs to 5 Hz). I had more fun with the Inuke because of the adaptive EQ where you could boost more at lower volumes and have it progressively go away as you turned it up but this setup is majorly more capable in terms of output...and it sounds better too [saying that might get me in trouble, haha].  

I was popping my ears, etc, during the playback of this movie. The subwoofer system is definitely the most capable unit in my movie room compared to the front stage and surrounds but it was still neat to hear/see the blinds and door moving during the heavy LFE scenes. The door moving/buzzing was a first for me, haha. 

Suicide Squad: Extended Cut  (Dolby ATMOS)

Level - 4 Stars (110.6dB Composite)

Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.31dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Comments - No Clipping found, but 30Hz rolloff in place, like a lot of the recent crop of superhero films.  Have yet to see the film, but appears to be a relatively clean presentation with some likely compression applied to limit the dynamics.

post-20-0-12736900-1481851948.jpg

JSS

post-20-0-12736900-1481851948_thumb.jpg