The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Agreed^^  I haven't seen this in a while, but I remember the word "dynamic" came to mind when I watched it as well.  One of my favorite scenes for bass is actually one that's never really talked about.  It's after the very first gunshot, in the very beginning.  It lasts from after that first gunshot all the way until he meets Beatrice in the diner.  My chairs sway back and forth.. and it's not all that subtle if you listen at reference.  It feels like I'm sitting on JELLO.  I remember seeing a graph over at the other site.. it was "blips" of 3-6hz iirc with nothing else going on.  Very, very cool stuff.. It gave that very ominous, "sense of doom" kind of feeling for me.  Would love to see that part graphed if anyone has the chance..

Agreed^^  I haven't seen this in a while, but I remember the word "dynamic" came to mind when I watched it as well.  One of my favorite scenes for bass is actually one that's never really talked about.  It's after the very first gunshot, in the very beginning.  It lasts from after that first gunshot all the way until he meets Beatrice in the diner.  My chairs sway back and forth.. and it's not all that subtle if you listen at reference.  It feels like I'm sitting on JELLO.  I remember seeing a graph over at the other site.. it was "blips" of 3-6hz iirc with nothing else going on.  Very, very cool stuff.. It gave that very ominous, "sense of doom" kind of feeling for me.  Would love to see that part graphed if anyone has the chance..

Looks like this might be the post you're talking about?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1333462-new-master-list-bass-movies-frequency-charts-249.html#post23149005

(posted by flageborg)

Looper_ch1.jpg

SME,

No comparison to TF5 was implied, I was just saying that whatever headroom is made available, Michael Bay will use it, and clip it.

Real Steel was not very good, IMO, film or bass...  the dialogue had reverb in it at times, so much so I had to check I didn't have some kind of 'hall' or 'cathedral' setting mistakenly applied on the AVR.   

JSS

I really liked Real Steel, Actually the whole family liked it. To be honest I have not watched it in along time and did not see it with any of my current equipment. I remember it having some bass moments, but again I will have to pull that one out and watch it again. 

I just picked up Back Sea. Any bass to be found in this one? Don't know anything about it,  just sounded cool. 

MemX,

That's it! Thanks for digging that one up, man. 

No worries, I was intrigued and it was more fun finding it than doing work at work ;) lol

I will have to re-listen to that scene - I'm certain I'm not getting the full effect but will check!

Black Sea (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.65dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.96dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-40818700-1431686253.png

Mission Impossible (DD 5.1 @ 640KBPS)

Level        - 1 Star (103.37dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (34Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.38dB)

Execution - 1 Star (by poll)

Overall     - 2 Stars

Notes:  This track is clipped, which is shocking given its low levels.  PvA looks about like we might expect, and the corresponding sound also matches this film's age.

PvA:

post-17-0-83243600-1431788629.png

Mission Impossible II (DD 5.1 @ 640KBPS)

Level        - 2 Stars (105.54dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (27Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.62dB)

Execution - 1 Star (by poll)

Overall     - 2.25 Stars

Notes:  This track is also clipped.  

PvA:

post-17-0-77302000-1431788842.png

Mission Impossible III (DD 5.1 @ 640KBPS)

Level        - 1 Star (104.31dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars 1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.9dB)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Tossup

Notes:  This track is again clipped, but starts out with full bandwidth content.  Surprisingly, there is a fair amount below 20Hz throughout.  Nothing very hot, though, aside from those 1-5Hz spikes.

PvA:

post-17-0-72316700-1431789058.png

Eragon (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.55dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (20.3Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.25dB)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Tossup

Notes:  Many of the effects are full bandwidth.  It's a shame the movie is so bad, because the book was decent.  That spike at 34Hz is clipped.

PvA:

post-17-0-05186900-1431789864.png

Hey I checked this scene out after you posted and at reference with the subs 15db hot I still got nothing from this scene. I have roll off below 10hz and although the content was there just nowhere near anything to feel it. My amp was barely flickering too which means it didn't see much there. Curious what gear you were running and how hot your subs were to feel that?

Anyone watch American sniper? Is it a Lone Survivor type flick, or am I just relating the war/navy seal thing more than it actually is?

It has elements of that, but not as laser focused on the action as LS. Scenes not as well done, either, but other than Saving Private Ryan, not many war films compare. Bass is nothing to write home about.

Hey I checked this scene out after you posted and at reference with the subs 15db hot I still got nothing from this scene. I have roll off below 10hz and although the content was there just nowhere near anything to feel it. My amp was barely flickering too which means it didn't see much there. Curious what gear you were running and how hot your subs were to feel that?

Madaeel (Adam?) I am currently running 3 JTR Cap S2s in ~840 cubes on a suspended wooden floor. :)  I want to say when I ran this scene I may have been 3-5dB hot but I know it wasn't more than that because I always listen to new movies at reference, and the bass becomes overwhelming (to me) if I go much more than that. Typically, I run flat.  From memory, it was a quick "shutter" and then quickly transitioned to a "rolling" or "wobble" sensation.  It was just a neat feeling.  The "wobble" was quite a bit less pronounced than the "shutter", but was definitely present.  My FR begins to roll off at ~5hz and iirc ~5dB down at 4hz.  Measured with a calibrated CSL UMM-6 and REW.  I'm at work right now :ph34r:  and don't have the graph handy, but could provide it if you like.  I think I'll take this over to your thread to see if Bosso or MK or the other bass junkies on this site get anything out of it.  Besides, I've been meaning to congratulate you on your Raptors since day one... I don't think I ever popped in to say, Hello. ;)  :blink:

Tim

Must be a different mix/disc than the rental I used when it was first released. I would have noted it and probably graphed it. Even the peak hold Nube graphed doesn't show that content.

Must be a different mix/disc than the rental I used when it was first released. I would have noted it and probably graphed it. Even the peak hold Nube graphed doesn't show that content.

Hmm.. could be.. I'll have to revisit this scene again this weekend and report back.  It's literally been a year or two since I've seen it.  You have me doubting myself, Dave.  If there's one man on earth that could reproduce it, it'd be you. :P  I do live in south Jersey though.. maybe Chris Christie was hobbling along outside my house during the scene. :lol:   I will admit though, it didn't feel as hot as that graph indicates... which would put it somewhat close to the lightning strike scene in WOTW as far as level goes.. no way it's anywhere near that!