Sign in to follow this  
peniku8

Shaped Ports

I'm in the process of designing a small vented PA cab for B&C's 12BG100, tuned to around 40Hz. The current design utilizes two straight rectangular ports with a combined port area of 120cm².

Problem with the port is that the handle placement is so awkward, that I'd have to make the cab wider than I'd like to, which is why I'm planning to go with a shaped port. The fact that doing so would also lower port compression a little is a nice side-effect, but it's not my main concern here. I basically want the port to "bend around" the handle. Pics below.

I'm simulating a rear loaded horn in hornresp to be able to be more flexible with the port input data, but I'm not sure if this is the correct way to approach this, or if there are better alternatives. I had to increase the chamber volume by 10% to match the simulated response of the vented cab.

I sliced the port into 4 segments to model it as accurately as possible. The cab in the middle is far from done and needs a few modifications still, since I just quickly threw this idea together in Inventor to grab the measurements for hornresp. The sims are very similar between the straight port and the shaped one.

Am I on the right track?

ZU4spV8.jpg

Nobody knows? Alright, I'm just gonna build the cabs and see how it goes. It's just 70$ of wood for two cabs so w/e

And even if the response is not ideal, these will be used with dsp amps exclusively so I can iron out some flaws at least.