Ukko Kari

21" B&C DS115-8 Subwoofer - Respiro Del Diavolo

Starting work on a pair of subwoofers utilizing the 8 ohm version of the DS115. Ports are sonotube, and to make them fit in the enclosure, they will have a 90 degree bend. The external dimensions of the enclosure will be 49 inches tall, 36 inches wide by 24 inches deep. Dual 9.25 inch sonotube ports will eat up about 4 cubic feet of room in the box, driver is .53 cubic feet. Bracing will be fit around the ports and the driver.

External cabinet volume is 24.5 cubic feet, or 693.76 liters.

Time is sparse to work on these, so they likely will not be operational until the new year.

bNx7nAF.jpg

o7W3TfS.jpg

0oC8wWL.jpg

This is a shot of the inside of the elbow before the other lengths were added. A few coats of Duratex with sanding in between make the surface fairly smooth.

f8pyUwz.jpg

• Like 2

Side panels are just clamped in place at the moment, and bracing is not fully complete yet. From a quick and dirty estimate, cone excursion minima is in the 17-18 hz range. RchEpiu.jpg

Edit: quick impedance measurement taken, tuning looks to be 17.6 hz.

VEiyyq6.jpg

Looks good man. Are you building a pair of these or just 1?

You forgot to post tuning with one of those ports stuffed. 

I will be building a pair, have some materials on hand for the second one now, but have to go out of the city for work so it will be some time before I complete both of them. I can certainly stuff one port and check the tuning.

Stuffed one port with a pillow, but I find it hard to nail down tuning exactly with the inexpensive homemade jig, though it looks close to 14 hz, which will drop some when the cabinet is standing upright, and the ports are closer to the floor.

That sounds about right. Might be useful for HT if you find you aren't using all of the headroom a pair will provide.