MTX 9515-22 Discussion

Ricci

This is MTX's update to the older 9500 series. I haven't ground plane tested this driver yet so I'm not going to make a definitive call on it yet. With that said I knew based on the specs it was low efficiency and I knew it was very expensive for a ferrite 15", but I was hoping it would retain the well controlled inductance behavior of the older 9515-44 and have an extra 6mm xmax, better thermal handling and lower compression, a little more cone area, even better distortion behavior and do all that on top of looking much better cosmetically. It could have been a very high performance bass pump type driver. I was hoping. Unfortunately they forgot to put some aluminum in the motor...Modeling based on the complex inductance specs pulled from this indicate it's going to have a mountain shaped response hump. I'd expect a lot of even order distortion from it at high power too. I guess we will see how it does. 

• Like 1

The lack of shorting rings imo is just not worth it. I understand the concern  about another part or failure point, but it can be designed right and has a huge benefit, not just with the fq response but with some very audible distortion. @ 700, it better sound great too! Then again, no driver is without faults and the MTX really brings it in terms of liner xmax. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

I have noticed you said about using a "8002" amplifier.which one is that ?

Crest 8002. It's an old amp I leave on the bench in the garage for testing drivers.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:25 PM, Kyle said:

The lack of shorting rings imo is just not worth it. I understand the concern  about another part or failure point, but it can be designed right and has a huge benefit, not just with the fq response but with some very audible distortion. @ 700, it better sound great too! Then again, no driver is without faults and the MTX really brings it in terms of liner xmax. 

I agree...I immediately disregard drivers without shorting rings and have for a very long time. They increase cost, build complexity and weight a bit, but greatly flatten the voltage response on both ends and lower distortion. I just assumed because the older 9500 series was so good in this regard that the new 95 series that replaced it would have similar treatment. The aluminum heat-sink on top of the motor seemed to point towards it too. The comparison of the new driver vs the older driver design at half the price will be quite the comparison.