18 Sound 21NLW9601 Test Results

Ricci

Parameters, notes and pics of this woofer have been posted. Looks like another good 21" pro unit so far. This is one of the smoothest modeling 21's in bandpass and horn enclosures and it directly competes against the B&C units so it will be interesting to see how it compares. Suspension was extra crazy stiff on the pair of woofers I have. Even after some break in the Fs is almost 10Hz higher than factory spec. Guess I'll have to rerun it after beating on it for a years or so. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:18 AM, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

It seems that 21ID can take a tad more thermal input with a bit less power compression than 21NLW9601. 20% more power and 1dB less power compression. But it has higher distortion doing that, something I noticed.

We need 21NTLW5000 tested here for a complete package 

These 9601's appear to be more similar to the B&C 21SW152 and slightly older generation drivers than the SAN214.50 / 21DS115 drivers. What I mean by that is these are a little bit shorter stroke but with a lot of power handling. Makes sense  because these have been around for a while. Good drivers but they do not have much past the 14mm xmax rating. It's much less of an issue once they are put into cabs that limit the excursion like they are intended for.

Yes the 21ID is rated at exactly the same xmax and power handling as the 9601 but it appears to have a little bit more of both based on the testing.

Glad we now have some more data on these, would the weaker performance at higher excursion of the 9601 make the 21sw152-4 a clear cut winner in an Othorn doing 25-80 at high power(upto 4000W~ per driver) in a PA setting? Or in real world use is there not much difference between them? Really tempted to try and sell my 21lw9601 and use 21sw152-4 instead as I can get them £100 cheaper each than the 9601, i'm really interested in how these drivers compare and any advantages of using one over the other.

On 6/24/2019 at 6:56 PM, SoundOfTheSaint said:

Glad we now have some more data on these, would the weaker performance at higher excursion of the 9601 make the 21sw152-4 a clear cut winner in an Othorn doing 25-80 at high power(upto 4000W~ per driver) in a PA setting? Or in real world use is there not much difference between them? Really tempted to try and sell my 21lw9601 and use 21sw152-4 instead as I can get them £100 cheaper each than the 9601, i'm really interested in how these drivers compare and any advantages of using one over the other.

I don't think the 21SW152 really offers much more excursion than the 9601. Maybe just a bit. Overall they are fairly comparable. Whichever is cheaper should work well. I don't think either would be a noticeable upgrade over the other. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...