Ricci

Eminence NSW6021-6

You may have heard...You may not. Eminence is upping their game and coming out with pro woofers that compete directly with the competition. I was able to get some early samples of their 21. So far what I've seen from this woofer is very encouraging. Specs, notes and impedance curve from one of the sample units are posted. Much more info will be coming. 

https://data-bass.com/#/drivers/5cc9adeb9b899d0004e43084

• Like 3

It goes back to everything being a compromise. Mms is similar between the 2 which is what matters ultimately and the coil size is nearly the same as well. Copper wire of course weighs more for the same volume of material. The min impedance is 5x higher on this driver so some different choices in the wire gauge and number of turns are required to result in the higher impedance. The inductance on this driver looks good too even with the big coil. This driver doesn't have quite the same normalized motor force but its still over 300. The 2ohm version of the Ipal has a lower motor force too probably due to changes in the coil material and winding length needed. 

I like the 1.9mm WW,  its about time pro drivers got more, that was the intent with the Pro 5100 we designed back in 2009, took 10 years before that got more mainstream, but its good its happening. SPL still high, but these drivers won't crap out at 20Hz like Eminence of years past. The 6" should have a nice edge in power handling. I still like radial neo more (personal choice), but these puck magnets with wide coils are serious contenders.  @radulescu_paul_mircea I'm not so sure the neo quality anything to question, its 3 lbs of neo! Not a small amount by most standards.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:38 AM, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

It seems Eminence went for a different chassis. The old one probably was too similar to those from B&C 

Yes they had to tool a new frame. I have sample drivers with the old frame so I was asked not to post any pics of the back of the driver. Ill be getting a pair with the new frames as well. 

Also GP testing of this driver is done. It's a beast.

• Like 1

Sealed. Also did 4 other pro 21's the same day. Working on getting all of that uploaded to the site. Ill probably run these in the skram enclosure.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ricci said:

Also did 4 other pro 21's the same day.

That's a full day...

Looking forward to the results.

Well, that settles it... the far grater excursion capability and lower power compression than any other pro driver except 21Ipal. The Copper coil has less thermal inertia because speciffic heat is half that of alluminum , the efficiency is a bit lower than Ipal because the magnet is not as huge, but the normal impedance is high enough to use 2 of them easily in parallel on a K20 channel or even X4L with extreme results. 

This RCF LF21N551 need to be tested by you @Ricci. It will really surprise you!

Results for the NSW6021-6 in the sealed cab are viewable now. 😎

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:43 AM, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

Well, that settles it... the far grater excursion capability and lower power compression than any other pro driver except 21Ipal. The Copper coil has less thermal inertia because speciffic heat is half that of alluminum , the efficiency is a bit lower than Ipal because the magnet is not as huge, but the normal impedance is high enough to use 2 of them easily in parallel on a K20 channel or even X4L with extreme results. 

This RCF LF21N551 need to be tested by you @Ricci. It will really surprise you!

I may see about getting the RCF for a next round of 21's, but it will be quite some time. Still no availability of 21TNLW5000 over here.

Yes this and the 21IPAL are definitely a cut above any of the other pro 21's I'm aware of. I may try to power a single 21Ipal in the same box with the SP1-6000 for a more direct comparison, but I'm not sure how well even that amp will deal with impedance mins <1ohm during the sine wave sweeps. The K20 did not like bursting into it way back when I tried it. The impedance on the Eminence is a big selling point for me. MUCH easier to power in singles or in pairs. The NSW6021-6 gives up a little bit of motor force to the Ipal but I think I like the mirrored spiders and spacer setup for the suspension better.

Hopefully these put other mfg's on notice and inspire more competition.

• Thanks 1