Eminence NSW6021-6

Ricci

You may have heard...You may not. Eminence is upping their game and coming out with pro woofers that compete directly with the competition. I was able to get some early samples of their 21. So far what I've seen from this woofer is very encouraging. Specs, notes and impedance curve from one of the sample units are posted. Much more info will be coming. 

https://data-bass.com/#/drivers/5cc9adeb9b899d0004e43084

• Like 3

It goes back to everything being a compromise. Mms is similar between the 2 which is what matters ultimately and the coil size is nearly the same as well. Copper wire of course weighs more for the same volume of material. The min impedance is 5x higher on this driver so some different choices in the wire gauge and number of turns are required to result in the higher impedance. The inductance on this driver looks good too even with the big coil. This driver doesn't have quite the same normalized motor force but its still over 300. The 2ohm version of the Ipal has a lower motor force too probably due to changes in the coil material and winding length needed. 

I like the 1.9mm WW,  its about time pro drivers got more, that was the intent with the Pro 5100 we designed back in 2009, took 10 years before that got more mainstream, but its good its happening. SPL still high, but these drivers won't crap out at 20Hz like Eminence of years past. The 6" should have a nice edge in power handling. I still like radial neo more (personal choice), but these puck magnets with wide coils are serious contenders.  @radulescu_paul_mircea I'm not so sure the neo quality anything to question, its 3 lbs of neo! Not a small amount by most standards.

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 1:38 AM, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

It seems Eminence went for a different chassis. The old one probably was too similar to those from B&C 

Yes they had to tool a new frame. I have sample drivers with the old frame so I was asked not to post any pics of the back of the driver. Ill be getting a pair with the new frames as well. 

Also GP testing of this driver is done. It's a beast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that settles it... the far grater excursion capability and lower power compression than any other pro driver except 21Ipal. The Copper coil has less thermal inertia because speciffic heat is half that of alluminum , the efficiency is a bit lower than Ipal because the magnet is not as huge, but the normal impedance is high enough to use 2 of them easily in parallel on a K20 channel or even X4L with extreme results. 

This RCF LF21N551 need to be tested by you @Ricci. It will really surprise you!

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:43 AM, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

Well, that settles it... the far grater excursion capability and lower power compression than any other pro driver except 21Ipal. The Copper coil has less thermal inertia because speciffic heat is half that of alluminum , the efficiency is a bit lower than Ipal because the magnet is not as huge, but the normal impedance is high enough to use 2 of them easily in parallel on a K20 channel or even X4L with extreme results. 

This RCF LF21N551 need to be tested by you @Ricci. It will really surprise you!

I may see about getting the RCF for a next round of 21's, but it will be quite some time. Still no availability of 21TNLW5000 over here.

Yes this and the 21IPAL are definitely a cut above any of the other pro 21's I'm aware of. I may try to power a single 21Ipal in the same box with the SP1-6000 for a more direct comparison, but I'm not sure how well even that amp will deal with impedance mins <1ohm during the sine wave sweeps. The K20 did not like bursting into it way back when I tried it. The impedance on the Eminence is a big selling point for me. MUCH easier to power in singles or in pairs. The NSW6021-6 gives up a little bit of motor force to the Ipal but I think I like the mirrored spiders and spacer setup for the suspension better.

Hopefully these put other mfg's on notice and inspire more competition.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2019 at 9:50 AM, Ricci said:

I may see about getting the RCF for a next round of 21's, but it will be quite some time. Still no availability of 21TNLW5000 over here.

Yes this and the 21IPAL are definitely a cut above any of the other pro 21's I'm aware of. I may try to power a single 21Ipal in the same box with the SP1-6000 for a more direct comparison, but I'm not sure how well even that amp will deal with impedance mins <1ohm during the sine wave sweeps. The K20 did not like bursting into it way back when I tried it. The impedance on the Eminence is a big selling point for me. MUCH easier to power in singles or in pairs. The NSW6021-6 gives up a little bit of motor force to the Ipal but I think I like the mirrored spiders and spacer setup for the suspension better.

Hopefully these put other mfg's on notice and inspire more competition.

In brief correspondance with Brian, he confirmed that the actual power output capability of the SP amps is lower for loads well below 2 ohm.  He did not clarify exactly how the amp responds to an overload condition, but I'm pretty sure it handles it without blowing up.  The question is whether it throttles back suddenly and how much it does so.  A lot of amps probably just cut the sound temporarily under a current overload condition, which is not very cool in a live show.  My impression is that SP went out of their way to avoid doing that.  I'd certainly be curious as to how the amps handle it and how much power they can actually do.

FWIW, I light up the "yellow lights" on my SP2-12k from time to time (albeit on ULF-heavy peaks in movies and with impedance no lower than 2.7 ohm), and the limiter is so smooth that no one would even notice.  I can't even really hear any distortion when it activates.  Though I imagine the difference would be more obvious if I could do a direct A/B comparison with sufficient power.

Edited by SME
clarification

It was Luke.

The SP amps will run into a 1ohm nominal load better than any other amps I've encountered so far, but I'd expect that the sustained power is cut back quite a bit from the 2ohm or even 4 ohm rating. Othorn's with 21Ipal's would have the majority of the impedance well above 1ohm. Most of it would be above 2ohm. Also the bass bins used for pro audio work generally only operate from 30-100Hz with steep filters in place.  Luke's were the same. It's a different use than something like a sealed cab run for HT with no high pass, which is a lot rougher on the amps due to only 1 impedance peak and lowest impedances at the deepest frequencies.

• Like 1

I have run the SP amps at 1 ohm before and I noticed no loss of power with 2 subs driven off the same amp at 1ohm and 2 separate subs driven off 2 separate amps.  However, I don’t have measurements but there definitely weren’t any noticeable drops.  I’m sure the power is reduced somewhat but for the savings, it could be a good solution or at least a good stopgap until a second amp could be purchased but you might find it is not needed depending on how hard you plan to push the sub/amp.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ricci said:

I'd heard roughly $1000 MSRP. If the street price really ends up at $749 I can see them selling a ton of these. Do you mind if I ask where you heard this? 

Exact same reaction I had with Al at US Speaker. I said you sure we are talking about the same driver, he was thinking they would be at close to Ipal price. He said yep, they said $749. I have a receipt for 2 at $1498 shipped. They were finished on Wednesday and supposed to ship yesterday, but no joy yet.

They only had 10 baskets, so there are 8 left or maybe not. I know he grabbed 2 more