Behringer inuke replacement?

Kyle

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

On paper, that looks like incredible value. Did the inuke have DSP too? 

https://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nx6000-ultra-lightweight-class-d-6000w-power-amplifier--248-7014

Probably needs a silent fan mod like pretty much everyone else they make tho.

Yeah there was always a DSP version of the iNuke amps.

This is a simple rebranding of the iNuke amps, like Behringer seems to do with their products every few years. Not dissimilar to the old Europower amps. The 1500 and 2500 "changed" to the 3000 and 4000. Same amps, new look/label.

The iNuke amps are indeed a great value, imho. I own several and have quiet modded them with Noctua fans. I'm kinda annoyed cuz these look better in black than the silver iNukes I have already. 😛

Where you been Kyle? As Scott said it's basically an update to the cosmetics of the old inukes. I believe the guts have been confirmed to be nearly unchanged. There was some speculation that they worked on HF load invariance though. The new ones definitely look better.

Actually I don't think the new ones need a fan mod. So not only are they MUCH better looking, but in the short time I've played with one, I have yet to hear it ramp up. Granted there isn't any boost/eq of any kind down low yet but my friend is running 8 JBL CX1200's on one and we watched demo scenes and music at close to reference with known heavy and low bass and the fans never once spooled up.

Then again maybe they're broke...🤔😂

They do look much better.  If I didnt have two Crown XLS2000s myself I’d look hard at these.

Would have solved my need for a MiniDSP and saved me some cash......

But then I found another pair of decent amps so I’d still need it since I’m gonna run 4 amps bridged to my 4 subs lol.....

Also hello madaeel!

On 4/8/2019 at 1:05 PM, Madaeel said:

Actually I don't think the new ones need a fan mod. So not only are they MUCH better looking, but in the short time I've played with one, I have yet to hear it ramp up. Granted there isn't any boost/eq of any kind down low yet but my friend is running 8 JBL CX1200's on one and we watched demo scenes and music at close to reference with known heavy and low bass and the fans never once spooled up.

Then again maybe they're broke...🤔😂

lol @ last line, 

either way, at least they are quiet :)

On 4/9/2019 at 1:07 PM, lilmike said:

Man - I'd buy one just to get rid of the orange halos on the iNuke knobs. They do look much nicer. The only gripe I have with the iNuke's DSP implementation is the 20 Hz limit. 

u love it, don't lie

But ya, if they created a 10Hz filter, its good game for everyone else.

inuke.png

12 hours ago, lilmike said:

At least they aren't blue. 

I read somewhere that I can shove an o-ring behind the knobs and significantly reduce the glow. I might have to try that. 

Correct.  Someone else in AVS actually made custom fit covers for his.  I think he’d be up to make another set...

19 hours ago, Infrasonic said:

I shoved all mine in a closet behind the MLP.

😛

Not too many closets in my house, unfortunately. Poor planning on my part.

10 hours ago, EndersShadow said:

Correct.  Someone else in AVS actually made custom fit covers for his.  I think he’d be up to make another set...

I have a bunch of random O-rings out in the shop, I just need to see if I have any that fit the knobs. Clearly, this mod is high on my list of priorities.

On 4/12/2019 at 7:11 PM, Kyle said:

lol @ last line, 

either way, at least they are quiet :)

Haha yup that's all that matters. I know they're a little bit more than their predecessors but the looks, and silence upgrade, is well worth it. I personally would've never put one in my room, or a clone, just for the loud ass fans let alone that ugly faceplate. I got a newer FP clone for my near-field subs and I can hear the fans through my 3" thick door. 😐Yah I could do a fan mod but I'm not sure that's a wise idea on the clones and as soon as there's any sound then it's masked even at -40MV. So in my closet idc but for a lot of guys who use these amps it's an amazing upgrade and for $550/450 they're a bargain still for the DIY community. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, new member here!

I realize it might have been better id I would just opened a new thread (which I will), but I wanted to ask here as well. I’m buying (2) Ultimax 18” with sealed cabinet bundles from Parts Express: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7099

I was wondering which amp would you suggest between the Behringer NX3000D and the Crown XLS-1502. I will also buy the MiniDSP with the UMIK-1.

I will buy two of the same amp because I want to use separate amps for each subwoofer. Which one do you think would be the best of them?

Thanks!!! 

Hello Joselo. Welcome.

If you buy the 3000DSP you won't need to buy the minidsp. Personally I'd probably go that route. The less boxes, wiring and complication the better. I played around with a 3000dsp and it did pretty well, very well even considering the cost. DSP works well too. It does not sound good when it clips but a limiter set a bit below the clip limit will help with that.

The mini-dsp could also be for the main speaker crossover? I would recommend getting an old pro dsp and the non-dsp version of the NU3000 if its much cheaper than the DSP version.   I use a symetrix symnet 8x8 it was only £100, such devices support limiters on their outputs.  The usual procedure is to turn the sub amp gain to maximum and use attenuation on the DSP output to level match, then set limiters to the maximum voltage swing you want.  Doing it this way also allows more advanced limiting to be used; for example short term excursion and longer term thermal limits.  The power ratings on your drivers also suggest that an NU6000 would get you more output, you can use the money saved on DSP to upgrade ;)

18 hours ago, Ricci said:

Hello Joselo. Welcome.

If you buy the 3000DSP you won't need to buy the minidsp. Personally I'd probably go that route. The less boxes, wiring and complication the better. I played around with a 3000dsp and it did pretty well, very well even considering the cost. DSP works well too. It does not sound good when it clips but a limiter set a bit below the clip limit will help with that.

Hey, Josh!!! Thanks for replying. I’m a total rookie on this DIY thing and I still have more questions than answers. This is the reason I joined this group - so I can learn from all of you, get the most out of my investment and avoid regrets 🙂. I hope you don’t mind me having a few questions... sorry!!!

I forgot to mention some details. My room is 12x12 and I’m planning on buying a Marantz 6012 (or maybe the 6014) which I will use a preamp since I have a 5-channel amplifier for my mains and surrounds. Either of those receivers/units feature XT32 and Sub EQ HT.

- Do I still need the DSP on the Behringer or the MiniDSP to properly integrate both sealed Ultimax’s?

- I’ve read several times about the fan noise on the Behringer. Is there any way to fix that? This concernes me very much because all my electronics are about 2-3 feet at my right, which is pretty close.

- You talked about setting a limiter a bit below the clip limit; is that something I can do on the amplifier itself or do I need something else?

- I’ve read and seen many people saying that Behringer tends to spec the power of their gear way higher than what it really is... That concerns me. I don’t want to spend expecting something and get another. I might be able to save some additional $ and get the NX6000D instead. I don’t know, what do you think?

Sorry for asking so many questions! I hope you can guide me...

The Behringer specs are optimistic. However you still cannot find amplifiers with more power for less $$$. The built in dsp is worth the extra $50 too. Most other amps with comparable DSP quality are 2 or 3x the price. If you have a receiver with XT32 and the processing is only needed for the sub by all means skip the minidsp and get the DSP equipped Behringer amp.

The fans are loud on these. A lot of guys have done fan mods on them to use quieter fans. There are plenty of threads covering it at AVS forum. I've not personally fan swapped one.

The dsp section in the amplifier has a limiter section that would be set in the amp if needed.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ricci said:

The Behringer specs are optimistic. However you still cannot find amplifiers with more power for less $$$. The built in dsp is worth the extra $50 too. Most other amps with comparable DSP quality are 2 or 3x the price. If you have a receiver with XT32 and the processing is only needed for the sub by all means skip the minidsp and get the DSP equipped Behringer amp.

The fans are loud on these. A lot of guys have done fan mods on them to use quieter fans. There are plenty of threads covering it at AVS forum. I've not personally fan swapped one.

The dsp section in the amplifier has a limiter section that would be set in the amp if needed.

Josh, thanks. The Marantz receiver I has both X32 and Sub EQ HT. I will use a 5-channel Emotiva amplifier to power my main LCR’s (DIY Sound Group’s 1099’s) and surrounds (DIY Sound Group’s Volt-8’s). The receiver will power the Atmos channels (DIY Sound Group’s Volt-6’s). About the fan mod, that is the only thing left that concerns me as I would be voiding the warranty of a $500 amp. So far that is the only thing holding me back.

I live in Puerto Rico and shipping is going to be expensive to get the Ultimax and its sealed cabinet shipped here. I have to have it sent to my dad in Orlando for free and he will send it to me. I hope this sub/cabinet combination and this amplifier work great together just the way I expect them to. I’ll start looking for threads with this modification.

As Ricci mentioned - no need for the MinDSP when there is DSP built into the amp. The Behringer DSP is plenty good, and won't result in ground loops or signal level issues, just plug it in, configure things, and it works. 

I fan-modded my iNuke 3000D about 3 days after I bought it. I've run it plenty hard, it is still going strong. I don't recall the process as being all that complicated (at least for someone that's used to taking things apart), really, you just need to make sure you point the new fan in the right direction and put the shroud (if there is one) onto the new fan positioned the same way as it was on the old one.

Pretty sure I used a Noctua fan I bought on Amazon, it wasn't anything all that special. I seem to recall that I chose to cut the factory fan wire to connect the new fan, red to red, black to black, the RPM wire isn't used.

So long as you're not pushing the amp to extreme limits with high output into a low impedance load, the fan mod should not result in anything but a quieter amp.

• Thanks 1

And. MiniDSP has sometimes caused noise issues in the signal chains of home and car audio systems so if you can keep the signal chain simpler, I would.  So my vote would be the DSP version.  The Peavey IPR2 amps are more powerful than the iNukes but they’re also a lot more expensive.  So if it were me, I’d probably still buy the iNuke DSP but might move up one model to ensure I had headroom with the needed power.  But I don’t see why you’d buy 1 amp for 1 sub when the next step up with both channels could comfortably drive a subs on each channel.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Folks , I am in the Pro business from the 80s and buying an NU4- 6000 was the worst investment. The amp lasted not even a day and quit from just being on . It had no load, no pressure . No satisfaction was given  from Behringer . My worst ever audio sound gear experience.  Am hurt and felt real cheated . 

Edited by Power Plant Sound Company
grammar

13 hours ago, Power Plant Sound Company said:

Folks , I am in the Pro business from the 80s and buying an NU4- 6000 was the worst investment. The amp lasted not even a day and quit from just being on . It had no load, no pressure . No satisfaction was given  from Behringer . My worst ever audio sound gear experience.  Am hurt and felt real cheated . 

I also had an Inuke amp die within a few weeks of purchase. Behringer will honor their warranty and replace it. If it is out of warranty that is unfortunate. However considering the popularity and number of units in the field there will be some that fail but it seems to be relatively rare. Sorry to hear about your amp.