Ricci's Skram Subwoofer & Files

Ricci

Very nice!  I experience a very tight thump on my living room system.  It sounds bit shy below ~60 Hz, but that could be the particular music or a filter in the iPhone mic.

I love the picture of the setup.  It looks so compact, and yet I'm sure it can pack a wallop.

4 hours ago, SME said:

Very nice!  I experience a very tight thump on my living room system.  It sounds bit shy below ~60 Hz, but that could be the particular music or a filter in the iPhone mic.

I love the picture of the setup.  It looks so compact, and yet I'm sure it can pack a wallop.

Depending on the model it drops off quite a bit down low. In an example iPhone 5 calibration file I saw 30Hz being down by 15db.

Mine is similar, there is basically nothing below 25Hz, but I couldn't find the cal file in the system to have a look at it

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 1:44 PM, SME said:

Yeah, Phone videos don't do it justice for sure.  I've often thought about getting a good video camera with a quality external mic to get better video and sound from our shows, another item on the to do list.

1 hour ago, jay michael said:

Yeah, Phone videos don't do it justice for sure.  I've often thought about getting a good video camera with a quality external mic to get better video and sound from our shows, another item on the to do list.

I have a Blackmagicdesign Ursa Mini 4k outfitted with two Neumann KM184 and I absolutely love that combo, but it's way overkill and probably far out of any reasonable budget if just for show recording.

8 hours ago, jay michael said:

I bet it sounded great!  I don't think I've ever heard a system with serious bass output that can do 30 Hz --- outdoors.  I know that indoors the extra extension really adds a lot of weight to that kick, and psytrance and other bass music seems like it very often goes below 40 Hz.  If the transient response is good and the kick is tight, the weight just smacks you all at once.  :lol:

Did you end up tweaking the EQ I suggested or did you just use it verbatim?  I'm glad whatever it was you did worked out for you.

Hi ! I'm building my Skrams and just wondered, is there any issue to put handles in vents ?

I want to put 2x Adam Hall 3402 to the bottom of my Skrams but they would be right in the vents, reducing quite a lot the area of it to a specific point (around the middle of the vents)

5 hours ago, Alexlel said:

Hi ! I'm building my Skrams and just wondered, is there any issue to put handles in vents ?

I want to put 2x Adam Hall 3402 to the bottom of my Skrams but they would be right in the vents, reducing quite a lot the area of it to a specific point (around the middle of the vents)

It will change the tuning and restrict the air flow. I wouldn't recommend it. That's why I didn't put any handles there. 

On 8/22/2019 at 9:31 AM, Alexlel said:

@Ricci Alright, I was drawing the slots and thought "That doesn't sound good".

Gonna put them on the sides.

Thanks!

Its a bit of an awkward cabinet to fit handles for sure.  I skipped the side handles on mine.  Instead of the knife edge on the mouth I rounded that edge so the mouth could be a handle.   2 people can carry from the hatch handles and 2 from the mouth, makes for a comfortable 4 person carry, but 2 people can carry from the same placement.  I did put casters on mine.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, Ricci said:

It's in the first post. 

The DXF for this will not attach here. 

I dont see a DXF file in the first post. All I see are three PDF files. I am trying to build 4-6 of these. Took months to find someone who might cut them on CNC .

1 hour ago, rotgg said:

I dont see a DXF file in the first post. All I see are three PDF files. I am trying to build 4-6 of these. Took months to find someone who might cut them on CNC .

For whatever reason I cannot get the DXF to attach here even though I had no problem with the Othorn, GH, Skhorn, etc...

You can pm me your email address and I'll email it to you. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SME said:

Did ya put the other two Skrams in the rear corners of the room?

Na, they are in our studio with the big Danleys.

Had about a dozen friends over last night for a listening party with the new Tool Album.  Holy shit!   I am continually blown away with these Skram subs.   Danny Carey's drums sounded so immense! kick drums right in the soul haha!  In all seriousness we collectively agreed that none of us have ever heard kick drums sound this good out of a soundsystem.  Made for a super memorable night, fuck going to concerts lol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jay michael said:

Made for a super memorable night, fuck going to concerts lol!

LOL Completely agree with you there Jay :)

I haven't posted much, enjoying too many concerts and movies at home.

Gotta give kudos to Josh for his exceptional masterpieces!!! <bows down>

Skrambled.thumb.jpg.91e600e17b4292f67879327909f56aa7.jpg

• Like 1

Man Jesal, these subs almost look small in the pic. It looks like the top of the screen is at about 1.5m, but then you see the full sized door behind it...

I should really get my sub design tested. Seeing how well these types of cabs perform (in combination with the 21" drivers) excites me.

I would just build a prototype of the cab I designed but I need more drivers and A LOT of wood.. there are some other things further up the list (like a Bordeaux build or three..)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jay michael said:

Na, they are in our studio with the big Danleys.

Had about a dozen friends over last night for a listening party with the new Tool Album.  Holy shit!   I am continually blown away with these Skram subs.   Danny Carey's drums sounded so immense! kick drums right in the soul haha!  In all seriousness we collectively agreed that none of us have ever heard kick drums sound this good out of a soundsystem.  Made for a super memorable night, fuck going to concerts lol!

I listened to the new Tool album on Friday night, but it was heard in the dining room quietly while friends played board games.  The kick drum definitely rolled well on that album though.   I think I'll listen with a friend at proper volume late next week.

Some questions about how these should be placed/grouped in regards to dispersion characteristics. I guess if only one box per side then you put the mouth to the ground or will it work fine on its side as well?
And what about two per side, on there sides? or end to end with the mouths becoming one? Or if you were grouping 4 should the group of mouths run horizontally or vertical?

What are the dispersion characteristics of these?