Need Advice on passive subwoofer build.

Lucasday

Hello, this is my goal. Build passive subwoofer or woofers for a 2.1 or 2.2 system. I have a Jame loudspeaker m1000 amplifier. The amp 500 watts rms @8 ohms. 1000 @4 ohms. Receiver is a proficient m40 “ speakercraft vital 710” 80 wrms x2. Main speakers klipsch f3 . This is what I have. I mainly watch tv and movies. Music mainly rock, jazz, blues. I want a subwoofer that I can play loud and feel. This is stuff I have picked up off Craig’s list very reasonably priced. Just want an decent 2 channel experience. Thanks 

Budget would be 500$ for subwoofer or 2. My wife’s grandpa owns a custom cabinet shop. I would like to build from solid wood if possible. I would just like a high spl subwoofer I could obtain for 500 or less that would work well with the amplifier. Size is of no issue. Just want something that would come alive on a drum solo. 

I apologize that I’m not well versed in this area. I greatly appreciate any input, direction, comments, feed back or the like up front. You don’t have to sugar coat advice, points of view or frustration with my mismatch collection of equipment. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, Lucasday said:

Budget would be 500$ for subwoofer or 2. My wife’s grandpa owns a custom cabinet shop. I would like to build from solid wood if possible. I would just like a high spl subwoofer I could obtain for 500 or less that would work well with the amplifier. Size is of no issue. Just want something that would come alive on a drum solo. 

I apologize that I’m not well versed in this area. I greatly appreciate any input, direction, comments, feed back or the like up front. You don’t have to sugar coat advice, points of view or frustration with my mismatch collection of equipment. 

Well I would suggest starting with a Behringer NU3000DSP or NX3000DSP amp. That will probably eat up about half of your budget. This will power the subs and provides EQ and DSP to shape the sound. This is about the best budget buy in amplifiers for subs currently.

Seems like you want loud bass for peanuts. It's a tall order. Look into Lilmike's Lilwrecker or Bill Fitzmaurices THT. These are big horns that use inexpensive drivers in large complex cabinets to put out a lot of sound for a low cost.

Archived