Sign in to follow this  
Ricci

Bolserst's Complex Driver Inductance Calculator

Bolserst is a long time contributing member over at DIYAudio forums. He has developed this spreadsheet that will take an impedance measurement and calculate the complex inductance of a driver. David McBean the author of HornResponse has added the capability to simulate using this data into HR. This is a much more accurate way to simulate and design speakers and subs.

In short if you are designing bass systems using modern, high power, long throw drivers and you are not accounting for complex inductance in your modeling; The models are probably not representative of what you would be building. Previously you would need to purchase costly software in order to derive and simulate using these parameters, or figure out a way to roll your own way.

The spreadsheet imports a text file of an impedance measurement and calculates the complex inductance specs. Additionally if you have an added mass or Vas (Known air volume) impedance measurement you can also import it and the spreadsheet will calculate all driver parameters needed for modeling. A driver file can then be exported for use in HR.

Semi-Le_Calc_V2.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!  

Timing was just about perfect for my projects. I hope to get the sub designs finalized in the next couple weeks, then get some sawdust made before year end. Will drag out the measurement gear and get some impedance sweeps of my drivers as soon as I can, then see if the models still look OK. Neither driver has all that high of an inductance (Le/Re of 1.03 for the 15s and 0.47 for the 18s).