Porting the room - flat to 6hz

Aijan

We recently moved to a new house. I setup the subs (three 12" dual opposed cabs) in one of the two rooms in the basement (22'x12.5'x7.5'), and took some measurements, but something wasn't right: I had flat response down to 6hz! The subs start to roll off at around 40hz. I know it's not unusual to get flat response down to 12hz or so in a room like this with the help of some room gain, but getting another octave below that, now that's very unusual. Then it hit me -- we had quite a large internal window between the rooms in the basement for some reason, and I had filled it up with low density mineral wool to minimize sound leakage between the rooms. The window measures roughly 45"x32"x9", and it appears to work like a port tuned to 7hz or so if I'm correct. So, the question is why build large ported subs when you can use compact sealed subs and simply add a window to one of the walls instead?

Could the mineral wool be acting as the 'dead' wall in a SBA, reducing destructive cancellation?

Or are the wavelengths too long at that depth for that to happen?  (IIRC constructive-only interference starts to occur once you get down past 30Hz??)

Even if the filled window is behaving like an SBA dead wall, that is nowhere near sufficient to explain flat response to 6 Hz.  I think the hypothesis described in the OP is reasonable.

The mineral wool probably has the effect of making the port lossy, but I doubt it lowers the tune much if at all.  I wonder if even more output at around 6 Hz would be seen if the mineral wool were removed?

Archived