Sign in to follow this  
m_ms

Othorn - HT capable?

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:24 AM, maxmercy said:

Keep us updated!!

JSS

A bit coming up - thanks for the interest :)

This project is taking its time to coalesce, sorry about that, but things are slowly beginning to fall into place. The B&C 15TBX100 drivers landed some weeks ago, and are just sitting there in their boxes waiting for further action. And just today I've bought a used Crown Macro-Tech 1200 power amp (300 conservatively rated watts/8 ohms)  for use with my upcoming MicroWreckers. I know, the (old) Macro-Tech series are no youngsters anymore, but I friend of mine recommended them despite this fact. Then there's the built-in fans, which supposedly turn into helicopters sound-wise, so we'll have to find a way to mod these somehow for quieter operation. 

The DSP section for the Micro's will not be a Mini-DSP iteration as once pondered, but instead one of Xilica's offerings (a friend of mine uses a Xilica in his all-active DSP setup, with great results). They're more expensive, yes, but frankly more capable, and I'm thinking whether to jump for an option that will allow for a future all-active setup with my main horn speakers. I'm guessing though that won't happen anytime soon, if at all..

The build itself of the Micro's will commence in some 3 weeks time. The 18mm 11-layer Russian Birch ply panels will be CNC cut (CAD-drawings have just been sent off), and then a cabinet maker I know well will assemble them with fitting joinery for a more rugged enclosure. Will post some pics once we're getting there..

/Mikael