New additions for db site (need feedback)

Kyle

What do you want more  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want more

• I want more access to official blueprints of custom systems (similar to the ones Josh makes) and possible smaller systems?
    • I want a social media aspect to the site where I could create a project page and upload photos, graphs and content to share

6rZ8g8R.jpg

But seriously. Either one sounds like quite a feat to tackle well.

As for #1: what kind of "blueprints" are we talking about? Josh Ricci builds (Gjallerhorn, Othorn, Skhorn, etc...) or some other DB-vetted designs? User submitted designs?

As for #2: what would be really good for this site is some form of GOOD photo uploading or linking capability. Not sure what it would cost if DB were to HOST the files or if a 3rd party would be better. I use Imgur now and it seems to do the job but not everyone wants to bother with having a photo uploading account. And after the Photobucket thing... I don't blame anyone.

Of course, sharing photos and graphs and what not of projects/builds is quite important. But 'social media' integration doesn't seem as critical.

The plans would be mostly validated and tested and the user systems would be more about sharing what someone builds (ad hoc, DIY stuff)

The photo uploading in v2 is reworked and hosted in amazon web services, it also auto caches regionally around the global so its fast. I  further added a resizing tool that serves scaled images to add further optimization so its greatly improved.

example

old
https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=53

new
https://prod.data-bass.com/#/systems/5aa37de3cde8fe0004e2753b?_k=p1jr8v

I vote that we let users add graphs, content, build plans, etc. 1 guy can only produce so much content. 

As far as social media I'll let you guys in on a secret. I've never been active on any form of social media. I don't plan to be either. From what I recall Kyle isn't either. That's why we don't have any of that for DB! Neither one of us wants to deal with it! 

58 minutes ago, Ricci said:

I vote that we let users add graphs, content, build plans, etc. 1 guy can only produce so much content. 

As far as social media I'll let you guys in on a secret. I've never been active on any form of social media. I don't plan to be either. From what I recall Kyle isn't either. That's why we don't have any of that for DB! Neither one of us wants to deal with it! 

Agreed. While I technically have a Twitter, I haven't touched it in years. Probably being run by bots by now. Lol.

Maybe a basic test method that could easily be repeated by anyone with a decent mic and REW.   

Must be outside.   Mic at 1m.   Take sweeps until compression shows up.   Sort of like what lilmike does.  

I don't think most people care about the 1w/2.83 numbers.   Max output is really the only thing anyone seems to care about.  

Can your graphing software import REW files?  

1 hour ago, Samps said:

Maybe a basic test method that could easily be repeated by anyone with a decent mic and REW.   

Must be outside.   Mic at 1m.   Take sweeps until compression shows up.   Sort of like what lilmike does.  

I don't think most people care about the 1w/2.83 numbers.   Max output is really the only thing anyone seems to care about.  

Can your graphing software import REW files?  

I wouldnt say it directly imports the file, but straight copy+paste works.

scroll down a bit until you get to a graph and you see the raw data.( Don't worry you can't edit or break it)

https://dev.data-bass.com/#/admin/systems/configure/5a8402f03ab1e70004dd6fcd?_k=ywsbj4

• 2 weeks later...

Kyle I like the new format that you have proposed. Nice.

Only one thing I am wondering. Are you limited to a certain window height for the graphs? Or are you trying to keep the same vertical perspective on the distortion plots. The Klipsch sub should have Mr. K turning in his grave!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 1:00 PM, mwmkravchenko said:

Kyle I like the new format that you have proposed. Nice.

Only one thing I am wondering. Are you limited to a certain window height for the graphs? Or are you trying to keep the same vertical perspective on the distortion plots. The Klipsch sub should have Mr. K turning in his grave!

Good question, there is a ratio of 2:1. And the graphs are full width. The max width for the site is 1170px.

As far as windowing, depends on the graph, THD is capped to 40% so you'll get more definition in that lower range where it matters more. Once its blows past 40% or so its not relevant as the speaker is useless and the more we stretch out the y-axix, the less we can see in range that matters.

The windowing can be tweaked for each graph is need, but each one will generally follow a template as a starting point.

The klipsch sub is not bad per se, just not gonna beat out a lot of the higher end stuff. It does look nice, the PR set up is sleek and the sub is pretty clean looking. I can't listen to bass super loud so it would probably be enough for me, but Im sure my TC Sounds sealed 12" with my ~2k watt pro amp would beat it out easily so I wouldn't want to change it out.

IMO, since Deon left Klipsch in ~2007, the subs have been been as good. But I do like Klipsch, its one of my favorite brands.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived