EndersShadow

Small yet Mighty. The tale of the 12's

Whatever you end up with, it's probably a good idea to compare the sound you get to no EQ and no Audyssey with the sub level set by ear.  For a bass boost can you use a Linkwitz Transform filter?  If you know the approximate Fb and Qtc of your enclosure, then you can use LT to extend the cut-off frequency a bit lower and maybe lower the effective Qtc.  I suspect this will sound a bit better than a high Q shelf at 30 Hz.

I have no idea if the MiniDSP scan do a Linkwitz transform.....  I will take a look.

It’s a 5.5 cf box (so maybe 5.0 after bracing and drivers).... with 4 of the JBLs and I have modeled it in WinISD.....

I know boosting that much may not be a good idea, so I’m still experimenting to see how I can extend the bottom without sacrificing the top end too much...

I think for now I’m going to focus on dialing in the Mini and just turn off XT32 until I’m happy with the results..

Sometimes XT32 tries to do things it shouldn't, but overall, it is a pretty decent product.

JSS

31 minutes ago, maxmercy said:

Sometimes XT32 tries to do things it shouldn't, but overall, it is a pretty decent product.

JSS

I’m pretty happy with XT32.... just tired of redoing it once a day lol.

Once I’m happy with the sub sweeps with the filters then I will redo XT32...

Do you have the raw measurement with no filters for comparison? 

1 hour ago, Ricci said:

Do you have the raw measurement with no filters for comparison? 

Yes.  I took a TON of measurements once I got the distances locked in earlier last week.  I took measurements at the following locations: Armrest (far right side), middle of the outer cushion, between the middle cushion and outer cushion, the center of the middle cushion, and lastly between the middle cushion and the center of the sectional.  I measured (but didnt use in the average) the dead center of the sectional, but threw it out of the mix because its literally less than a foot away from one of the subs so the response will be crappy no matter what I do there.

The image below will help better explain what I mean in case its not clear.  The ones with X in them were taken but NOT used in the averages.  

*Note* the Sonotubes (up front) are NOT yet in play.

Floorplan.jpg

I took 3 groupings of those measurements at different distances in the room.  One close to the back, one in the middle of the cushion, and one in front of the seats. I then averaged all those measurements and used that average to generate the REW filters I've used (the fact the picture says REW 9 filters indicates it my 9th iteration* of filters I'm trying lol).

Once I install a new set of filters in the Mini I then redo XT32, (measuring the subs as a single combined unit) and run the same set of measurements again to get an UPDATED average measurement across that same grouping (show in the picture in green).

Then I added boosts until the response looked decent and ran those exact same locations AGAIN to get my LAST average (shown in the picture in tan).

*Each time I redo the setup I learn a bit more.  This time I decided to NOT cut down the top end nearly as much as I was and simply boost the low end to even it up.

@Ricci If you want me to I can zip them and send them to you to look at.  I'm not going to say I fully understand REW and what its telling me (outside the fact I have some long decay in the waterfall graphs and I think distortion is much higher than I'd like *as a result of my boost obviously*).