Holophony

radulescu_paul_mircea

Hello everyone,

Here you can find cool information about a concept for audio reproduction. 

I was following the work of Holoplot company from Germany for a while and I tried to learn more about the way they work. Now I got my answer from Mr. Charlie Hughes, who is a consultant for the concept in the link

https://www.jambase.com/article/madison-square-garden-co-open-concert-changing-msg-sphere-arena-las-vegas

holoplot.com

http://www.holophony.net/

When I first heard about it, I thought wave-field synthesis (WFS) sounded like a really cool concept.  I'm a lot more skeptical now.  Part of the problem is that a system of immense complexity (and expense!) appears to be required to achieve a high quality realization of WFS.  Second, it's not clear that its really solving the right problem.

In its ideal realization, WFS can synthesize a complete, spatially consistent (or spatially-dependent, if so desired) sound field within a listening space.  This is basically the Holy Grail of audio.  If an entire sound field can be reproduced in the space perfectly, then the reproduction is absolutely true and correct.

In reality though, WFS cannot be realized ideally with any practical configuration of existing components.  As a consequence, there will be errors in the reproduction.  On paper those errors may be fairly minimal, especially compared to the gross distortions to the sound field induced by the effect of acoustic boundaries in a "normal" system involving speakers playing in a room.  However, it turns out that people are very well adapted to listening to sources reproduced in rooms with complicated acoustic effects; whereas, they may not be that well adapted to listening to the errors that arise from WFS.

From some reading, it would seem these errors have been minimized enough for the strengths of the technology to be fully appreciated.  That is encouraging, and I'd certainly like to hear a setup some day.  I'm sure it has its benefits and its applications.  Though I can't help but wonder how much better the tech could be if wasn't so obsessively focused on creating a perfect / anechoic sound-field replica and instead took advantage of the acoustics of the space its in to achieve a smoother, even if less "correct" sound.

Edit: I forgot to add that I'm in the early planning stages of trying to build my own arrays consisting of many independently-controlled elements, to be used as surround and/or Atmos speakers that provide far more even seat-to-seat coverage than conventional speakers could achieve.  I'm not sure if the approach I plan will look like WFS or not, but I have rather different objectives in mind, so who knows?

Archived