Jump to content
awedio

iPAL enclosure details

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, awedio said:

@RicciThe DO sealed box you used to test the iPals, did you have 2 separate volumes or single airspace?

Single airspace. Cab was originally for 1 18"driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, awedio said:

More from Powersoft:

 

"Should you decide to use 2x IpalMods, I’d suggest using separate acoustical volumes for the two transducers.
This leads to safe and profitable use of the pressure sensors for both response correction and efficiency drops detection."

This makes a lot of sense.  If you have separate amps and separate control loops interacting with one another via a shared air space, you definitely risk some weird behavior.  Depending on how their system is designed, there may even be potential for instability where the two amps fight each other in an escalating way.  Not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ricci said:

Single airspace. Cab was originally for 1 18"driver.

Separate airspace for each driver shouldn't have any negative impact on performance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, awedio said:

Separate airspace for each driver shouldn't have any negative impact on performance?

Only in so far as you lose a slight amount of volume by having a solid panel between the two air spaces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SME said:

Only in so far as you lose a slight amount of volume by having a solid panel between the two air spaces.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 11:36 PM, Ricci said:

Paul I did not know that it would run without a sensor connected if the feedback is set at the lowest setting. Good to know. Is this confirmed in the literature or did you try it?

I've just tried it. It doesn't start if it has the mic disconnected, it goes into protect at power up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 11:36 PM, Ricci said:

I have one Ipal module and 4 21Ipal woofers.

If you have the module, can you please tell me how noisy is it? Mine are terrible on this spec, the amp generates a very powerful hiss and buzz through the driver. I've even disconnected the coolers to see if the interference is from there but nothing happened.

Also, I haven't managed to connect it with power control manager software, I've tried it with two PC's and with 2 different serial adapters.

I don't know if you saw that they have changed the specs on this one. They reduced the max Voltage from 195 to 180 peak, the current also and the power is now 4500 watts at 2 ohms. In the software the maximum power is 5000 VA PK, current is 100 and true power is 700 watts over a maximum of 3 seconds. This means it is way lower than a channel from a K20 and TBH, if a SpeakerPower SP 6000 is capable to sustain that power for 4 seconds and then to drop to 2400 watts , that is way more that what this one is capable of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Paul it is noisy. I had heard this from others before I tried it. Nathan Funk mentioned it to me first. You are yet another commenting on it. Looks like it is an artifact of the system. It kind of prevents it from being useful in a quiet home environment or studio. It is unfortunate.

I didn't know they had clamped down on the output capability in the software and derated it a little. I was a bit disappointed with how it compares to a k20 too. Mine also seems to run quite hot. Does yours?  The SP amps will kick its butt on a sustained power basis. No doubt about that and they are much cheaper here. I just wish the SP amps had a more modern dsp front end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2018 at 10:58 AM, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

If you have the module, can you please tell me how noisy is it? Mine are terrible on this spec, the amp generates a very powerful hiss and buzz through the driver. I've even disconnected the coolers to see if the interference is from there but nothing happened.

Also, I haven't managed to connect it with power control manager software, I've tried it with two PC's and with 2 different serial adapters.

I don't know if you saw that they have changed the specs on this one. They reduced the max Voltage from 195 to 180 peak, the current also and the power is now 4500 watts at 2 ohms. In the software the maximum power is 5000 VA PK, current is 100 and true power is 700 watts over a maximum of 3 seconds. This means it is way lower than a channel from a K20 and TBH, if a SpeakerPower SP 6000 is capable to sustain that power for 4 seconds and then to drop to 2400 watts , that is way more that what this one is capable of.

I found the same issue and that's why we never used it in production as most of our products are used in quiet environments, also connecting to the controls I recall being tricky.

I am not surprised that they derated it, hopefully that means there are some "hardwired" protections now implemented, because you could set it up in the DSP to be able to blow traces right off the main amp board with over current :wacko:. This I found out the hard way :(.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, awedio said:

Is most of the noise coming through the speakers or is it mechanical noise produced by the amp module?

For me, it's a strong hiss from the speaker. And also some high pitch sound. Also, when the signal is very very low, the sound is very similar to that one produced by a rubbing voice coil, but this happens with only this amp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×