Ricci

Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

Thanks again for the suggestion.  I am thinking along similar lines, though I do still need to be mindful of the round-overs.  I'm also keeping the bracing dividers to 12mm.  I'm trying to keep the weight down.

13 hours ago, SME said:

Thanks again for the suggestion.  I am thinking along similar lines, though I do still need to be mindful of the round-overs.  I'm also keeping the bracing dividers to 12mm.  I'm trying to keep the weight down.

Are you talking about the SKHorn or a different project? I don't think flared ports are gonna save you from vent noise (below 20Hz) when running with the 1 vent per side config, and I also don't think that flared ports are needed when you're running with 2/3. I can push the drivers to Xmax at 20Hz with 1 vent open per side and not get any air noise.

10 hours ago, peniku8 said:

Are you talking about the SKHorn or a different project? I don't think flared ports are gonna save you from vent noise (below 20Hz) when running with the 1 vent per side config, and I also don't think that flared ports are needed when you're running with 2/3. I can push the drivers to Xmax at 20Hz with 1 vent open per side and not get any air noise.

It's for a different project, a plain-vanilla vented cabinet.  I'll probably start a thread for it soon.  Either way though this discussion is relevant to the Skhorn.

Vent round-overs certainly won't prevent chuffing, but I believe there's evidence that round-overs can improve flow characteristics at moderately high velocity, perhaps allowing an extra 1-2 dB before chuffing does become noticeable or before compression becomes serious.  It's a minor detail but worth it IMO when vent area is a bit limited as it is with both the Skhorn and the design I'm working on.

Also, I care more about avoiding/reducing compression, which sets in quite a bit sooner, than I do about chuffing.  With compression, the spectral balance is distorted substantially as level is pushed higher.  In use-cases where high accuracy/SQ is important, this is likely not acceptable, which effectively limited usable output to a level that may be much less than when chuffing because audible.

8 hours ago, SME said:

It's for a different project, a plain-vanilla vented cabinet.  I'll probably start a thread for it soon.  Either way though this discussion is relevant to the Skhorn.

Vent round-overs certainly won't prevent chuffing, but I believe there's evidence that round-overs can improve flow characteristics at moderately high velocity, perhaps allowing an extra 1-2 dB before chuffing does become noticeable or before compression becomes serious.  It's a minor detail but worth it IMO when vent area is a bit limited as it is with both the Skhorn and the design I'm working on.

Also, I care more about avoiding/reducing compression, which sets in quite a bit sooner, than I do about chuffing.  With compression, the spectral balance is distorted substantially as level is pushed higher.  In use-cases where high accuracy/SQ is important, this is likely not acceptable, which effectively limited usable output to a level that may be much less than when chuffing because audible.

Can't want to see what you're up to! When I think about the SKHorn I think about large venues with the capacity for over a thousand people, and there probably only the first two or three rows might notice vent noise. The roundovers are not much work thou, so why not just add them. I also placed roudovers on my current 12" project at vent entrance and exit, as far as it was possible for me. Very easy job with a roundover bit.

13 hours ago, SME said:

Nice.  Maybe @Ricci can attach that to the first post as well.

Done!

• Like 1