Ricci

Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

7 hours ago, Revolt Sound said:

Ok so it was an air leak that is causing the noise problem. It was coming from one of the un used t-nuts for the different drivers we will be testing. 

That's good news. Should be an easy fix.

9 hours ago, Revolt Sound said:

Ok so it was an air leak that is causing the noise problem. It was coming from one of the un used t-nuts for the different drivers we will be testing. 

T-nuts don't really seal well, even with a screw in there, its not perfect :(

On 4/16/2019 at 9:40 AM, Ricci said:

Speakerpower plate fits the hatch cutout nicely.

20190413_134414.jpg

Lol, that is close. Did you have to cut anything to make it fit?

The back mount ended up working nicely. 

QJ9Y9Mt.png

20 hours ago, dsl1 said:

Lol, that is close. Did you have to cut anything to make it fit?

The back mount ended up working nicely. 

Nah. It fit like a glove. The backmount in the hatch looks great. I wish I would've thought of that before you cut my hatches. Was it enough to fully recess the knobs?

On 4/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, Ricci said:

Nah. It fit like a glove. The backmount in the hatch looks great. I wish I would've thought of that before you cut my hatches. Was it enough to fully recess the knobs?

Yes, the knobs are fully recessed. Worked out quite nicely.

Hey, is anyone aware of someone building a bunch of these, for like a big touring rig or something?

I was at a Red Rocks Ampitheater concert recently that had some decently loud bass (though nothing like I've heard some acts bring), just guessing here but maybe high one-teens at 50 m outdoors. (?)  Unfortunately, only one frequency was real loud, right at 40 Hz where the vented cabs were almost certainly tuned.  It was a bit obnoxious, but I don't doubt they were designed that way for loudness.  There were eight of them arranged in two vertical arrays.  They were supplemented by kick bins, but those weren't arrayed and didn't reach back as well as the subs.

That got me to thinking about how many Skhorn's I'd need for similar or higher SPL and realized the numbers are pretty staggering.  I'd probably start with 4 on each side, and a total of 16 would likely not be wasted for heavy "bass music".  I may be discounting some benefits from the acoustics, including a tall (probably tall enough to amplify a lot of bass) wall of rock behind the stage and large rock formations that cradle the space.  It seemed that the loudest 40 Hz continuous notes took several seconds to build to full intensity.

Not yet...There are a few outfits with 12+ Othorns though.

6 Skhorns should be able to produce the levels and frequencies you are talking about at 50m outside. 8 for a bit of extra headroom. 16 sure would be more fun though.

• Like 1