Jump to content
Ricci

Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

Recommended Posts

I'm glad that you found it easy. I was hoping it would turn out not so hard. The hatches are likely the most difficult parts. I wanted to make it even simpler but didn't want to compromise in other areas too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2016 at 12:22 PM, Ricci said:

I could improve the results considerably, but before you know it the cab would be 27x60x36 and positively LARGE

Hi Josh

How much an improvement does 27x60x36 delivers?

Skhorn is big, don't think the wife will notice  an extra 6" lol

I'd be very interested in building this if you have plans available

Thank you

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the hatch was a challenge compared to the rest, which was pretty straightforward.

You did an admirable job with the Skhorn simple and efficient layout.

i might do a right angle aluminum hatch for the next skhorn, i saw in an othorn build at diyaudio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing around with scaling it, see what it looks in Hornresp, but not sure if the horn path or ports stay the same.

UpSized 27 60 36
Skhorn 24 54 32
Ratio 12.5% 11.1% 12.5%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does improve the low end some with more size. Hoffmans law of course...It also gives more room to fit things like casters or handles. I haven't got a plan for a larger version but this is close to what Paul did with his.

24x32x54= 24cu ft or 680L external

27x36x60= 33.75cu ft or 956L external. That's more than a 40% increase in size. You may be underestimating just how big and heavy this larger cab would be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ricci said:

It does improve the low end some with more size. Hoffmans law of course...It also gives more room to fit things like casters or handles. I haven't got a plan for a larger version but this is close to what Paul did with his.

24x32x54= 24cu ft or 680L external

27x36x60= 33.75cu ft or 956L external. That's more than a 40% increase in size. You may be underestimating just how big and heavy this larger cab would be.

Had been looking at building a slightly bigger single version myself but just trying to increase the low end a bit. I am not chasing numbers and would most likely be happy with the normal single driver version the way it is. But figured might as well see what can be had with a little more space. Unfortunately I have been away for months now with no time to simulate. But hopefully will get a break soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, chrapladm said:

Had been looking at building a slightly bigger single version myself but just trying to increase the low end a bit. I am not chasing numbers and would most likely be happy with the normal single driver version the way it is. But figured might as well see what can be had with a little more space. Unfortunately I have been away for months now with no time to simulate. But hopefully will get a break soon.

You know it's odd I spend all this time trying to keep this thing as compact as possible for being a double 21 and everyone seems to say I wish it were bigger! Never would have expected that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ricci said:

You know it's odd I spend all this time trying to keep this thing as compact as possible for being a double 21 and everyone seems to say I wish it were bigger! Never would have expected that. 

I like the size that the Skhorn is. I  was just looking at building a large ported cab tuned roughly around 15hz with a single 21SW152 for HT. But then figured I might as well have a go at building a single version of this. And when doing so I didnt mind going a little bigger because it was going to be in a HT setup and not moving. Would go sealed with more drivers but budget wont allow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×