Ricci

Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

Quick question, can both the 4 or 8 ohm versions of the B&C 21sw152 and 21DS115 be used in the SKHORN? Any difference in performance between the 4 and 8 ohm versions?

Thank you in advance.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, thebuckaman said:

Quick question, can both the 4 or 8 ohm versions of the B&C 21sw152 and 21DS115 be used in the SKHORN? Any difference in performance between the 4 and 8 ohm versions?

Thank you in advance.

4 ohm are a little better according to modeling due to slightly higher motor strength / lower Qts. Both should work though.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:02 AM, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

@Ricci

Did you have any problems linking the drivers in series on a single amp? From what I get in sims and in free air tests, the excursion goes mad if the parameters are just a bit different on the 2 drivers. Also the loading can change the behavior

I did not with the 21Ipal's. It performed as expected. Tested it to the limits of the amps with a SP-6000 and also a K20 bridged. In all 3 tunings to boot. No issues at all in any use or test I've thrown at it. There are a few other guys with these now as well and they've not reported anything either.

If it bothers you a simple addition for peace of mind for the Skhorn layout is to simply add a 1/2" solid panel from the front panel to the back. It would literally be two completely isolated cabs in 1 box if that is done. You would have some slight changes in the upper end response due to changing the "special sauce" a bit though. Nothing to worry about there.

@Ricci

Thank you for the reply. I am a bit concerned about that behavior, it is not related to the loading in the horn,but the behavior of two reactive loads linked in series, that see different voltages based on the difference in impedance and electrical phase.

Anyway, the subs are extremely potent, the content below 40 is so present and clean! I wouldn't be afraid to put them next to Funktion One F132. Unfortunately the clone power supply was not up for the task and after less than an hour with a sub on each channel, it died. Then I tested them with 2 Crown 5002VZ in parallel mode, each sub on a channel and the deepest bass was achieved , it could sustain 85 volts in impedance minimums without any sign of backing up, but the punch and headroom was smaller than with the clone. 

The next step is to completely change the bracings, build another pair, load them up with 21ID and IPal modules, buy a K20 and then compare them 2 vs 2 and see what happens, whichever is best. I bet on the K20+ 21Ipal combination but one could never be sure until I get the tests results. I would love to use these with SpeakerPower modules, each driver on its own amp, with 4-6 kw, because IMO , that's when the party is really starting. Unfortunately it's hard to buy them from the states.

IMG-20180619-WA0004.jpg

I don't see how a pair of drivers in series could cause a problem.  Three or more drivers, yes, but only two?

Anyway, I installed a 3/4" wall between chambers in my D.O. sealed sub because I was paranoid about local acoustic loading effects and wanted to option to possibly run separate signals to each end at some point in the future.

That pic looks great!  I'm sure your neighbors love you.

1763487258_WhatsAppImage2018-06-20at16_42_41.thumb.jpeg.41f6951c1948977582741245f7e386cf.jpeg

This is the excursion of two 21Ipal in series in the same enclosure, with the CMS having a difference of only 10% between them.

The place where I did these tests is a parking lot from an old factory where we have the workshop. It is surrounded only by other workshops and some offices that were closed at that moment. The parking lot is big, around 50 by 60 meters and if I go as close to the middle as I can, the frequency resolution is very good and I can get good accuracy down to 20 Hz.

Hey Paul...yes I modeled that out of curiosity after the MAUL debacle with series "loaded" drivers. Yes if you change the driver specs  some differences arise but what you have shown isnt too bad. Dont forget about how quickly suspension bits start to tighten on these pro drivers  after 10 to 15mm. Not to mention the BL loss. The driver excursion should even out at the limits. Its fine for me. YMMV

In practice, how much does CMS actually vary in different manufacturing samples (assuming the same batch of parts)?  I know we see lots of variation when we attempt to do measurements, but that's not necessarily the same thing.  The value obtained may depend a lot on the details of the measurement, and the value is known to be quite sensitive to temperature and humidity.  Both of these kinds of things should be expected to affect both drivers equally.