Infrasonic

Favorite amplifiers for bass

The modules in the SP1-4000 to SP2-12000 to my knowledge are not made by Hypex.  And since I use the SpeakerPower amps for my business, my only response due to potential liability is to get SpeakerPower’s recommendation before trying it.

1 hour ago, dgage said:

The modules in the SP1-4000 to SP2-12000 to my knowledge are not made by Hypex.  And since I use the SpeakerPower amps for my business, my only response due to potential liability is to get SpeakerPower’s recommendation before trying it.

It's more about the general concept than the SpeakerPower amps itself. The Hypex is just an example. You could potentially damage one amp if they're not exactly level matched, which is maybe why it's not officially supported. It's a workaround if it actually works. I also don't know if both amp modules have to be fed by the same power supply for this to work at all.

I have an old KMT LC1300 here which I can try this with. That amp is not officially bridgeable, but both output stages use the same power supply.

All other amps I have can operate in bridge mode already.

@Ricci might like the idea of a bridged SP2-12000 for output compression sweeps.

Edit: A short look at the Wikipedia page confirms that this is indeed possible as long as both amp modules share a common ground. I'm not sure if the input ground or output ground is referenced, but it should be the same in theory.

Another interesting thing is using multiple amps in parallel mode, which looks great for low impedance loads. Dunno if that's nothing new for you guys, but I haven't read into any of this before and just accepted that some amps can be bridged and some other cannot.

For example, if two identical amplifiers (each rated for operation into 4 ohm) are paralleled into a 4 ohm load, each amplifier sees an equivalent of 8 ohm since the output current is now shared by both amplifiers — each amplifier supplies half the load current, and the dissipation per amplifier is halved. This configuration (ideally or theoretically) requires each amplifier to be exactly identical to the other(s), or they will appear as loads to each other.

Each SP2-12000 *channel* uses two amps in a bridged configuration, so they can't be bridged again.  The bridging capability of any amp depends on its design characteristics which should be specified by the manufacturer.  Some amps perform better or more reliably *with* bridging.  Others may be damaged if you try to do it.

Edited by SME
added critical missing word

1 hour ago, SME said:

Each SP2-12000 *channel* uses two amps in a bridged configuration, so they can't be bridged again.  The bridging capability of any amp depends on its design characteristics which should be specified by the manufacturer.  Some amps perform better or more reliably *with* bridging.  Others may be damaged if you try to do it.

So the modules are already bridged, ok. One could still try to use them in parallel as mentioned above. That should work even with two bridged modules. Just don't mess up the wiring or bad things will happen... 😅

Correct the SP amps are already full bridge. So are Inuke6000 and NX6000 amps which is why they can't be bridged again. 

Most amps are half bridged. 

Half bridged Class D SMPS amps can get some bus pumping going on when used with HEAVY bass content. Not talking rock n roll kick drum here...Think sine wave sweeps, possibly some ULF HT type stuff. I like to use full bridged operation into subs when possible. In reality with normal content it may never be an issue. 

Voltage limit on the SP amps is about 126 volts (178 volts peak)