Infrasonic

Favorite amplifiers for bass

Just keep in mind that most of what we listen to is very transient in nature and really doesn't amount to anywhere near the average current that you may think. Breakers are rated to trip at a point that approximates an average current draw equal to their rating. They will pass many times their rating for brief periods. An average current draw of even 20A is a ton of power into your subs. If using a 30A 120v breaker, you will have to draw a huge amount of current in one brief peak or a very large amount long term to trip it. Also keep in mind that once breakers trip a few times they will become easier to trip over time. If you have a breaker that trips easily it may be worth replacing with a new one of the same value.

Yah I haven't tripped my 30A breakers once and the only torture scene I haven't done yet is the infamous dragon crash in HTTYD.

I didn't know that once tripped they're easier to trip after that tho. Thanks for the heads up.

Is a Crest Pro-lite 7.5 a good option?  Reviews I found said solid power output, fans that aren't very loud, more reliable than IPR2 7500, and not too expensive.  I just don't know about the rolloff.

The crest pro-lite 7.5 is strikingly similar to the peavey 7500. Honestly I run both and while the peavey looks a little cleaner and doesn't have those blinding blue lights, short of a bank of caps being upgraded to 1100uF from 600uF, there really is no major differences. The fans you most definitely will want to switch out on either model, as they share the same fans, and are both quite loud if in the same room. 

The crest pro-lite 7.5 is strikingly similar to the peavey 7500. Honestly I run both and while the peavey looks a little cleaner and doesn't have those blinding blue lights, short of a bank of caps being upgraded to 1100uF from 600uF, there really is no major differences. The fans you most definitely will want to switch out on either model, as they share the same fans, and are both quite loud if in the same room. 

Do you mean the crest looks cleaner and doesn't have those blinding blue lights?

• Like 2

Beast,

Do they measure well in terms of rolloff?  I'm also seeing that they're fairly cheap for the output.  If there's a documented fan mod, and the rolloff is solid, I may be in the market for one.

The fan mod is cake. they both actually mount to a metal piece that you detach with 3 screws. The fans have a termination plug that inserts into the board. I simply cut the wires off close to the old fan, and rewired the plugs to the new fans and shrink-wrapped the connection.  fc7c3b49_IMG_3408.jpeg

And here is the link to the fans you would need to install for quiet operation. There is also a smaller fan that helps circulate the air as it passes through the amp. I simply unplugged this one. 

What do you guys think about the Crown 9000i Macrotech amplifier? Quotes 8Ohm bridge at 6000W. I already have a Crown XLS 5000 and it is rated 20Hz with rolloff below that (how much I'm not sure). The specs say rolloff below 20Hz also for the 9000i but would this mean similar or the same to the XLS5000 rolloff? I am happy with the result to port tune using the XLS5000 but was looking at replacing my Behringer EP4000 which is power limited. The 9000i seems like it would be way more than enough power to run my Captivator but is that a bad thing if I don't use it all? I can pick up the 9000i for about $1200 used in Australia would like to know what others think about this amp.

That is a pretty good price on a 9000i. That amp should be close to a pair of XLS 5000's on real world content, even if it may not be quite as capable of being used for welding. I doubt you'd have the circuits required to weld with a pair of XLS 5000's anyway. I don't know the roll off for sure but Crown has seemed to favor a 8Hz DC filter for their lightweight amps in years past. It should be -3dB at 8Hz at dropping rapidly below that point.

That is a pretty good price on a 9000i. That amp should be close to a pair of XLS 5000's on real world content, even if it may not be quite as capable of being used for welding. I doubt you'd have the circuits required to weld with a pair of XLS 5000's anyway. I don't know the roll off for sure but Crown has seemed to favor a 8Hz DC filter for their lightweight amps in years past. It should be -3dB at 8Hz at dropping rapidly below that point.

Thanks Josh

Anybody know anything about PROEL Amplifiers? Specifically the HPX6000? Cheap but are they a piece of crap for sub duty? Can't find much on them.