Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread

lukeamdman

Is the 12000 offered for 120v operation now? The 12000 I have on loan from Brian has yet to turn the fans on at all. 

Just get some extra male and female 4 conducter speakon cable ends and make up a splitter that connects to a regular speakon cable. One 4 conducter speakon cable carrying two signals and going to two cabs. I've got some weird connections like this going on in my HT system where I have 2 drivers in 2 separate cabs, all run in series, bridged onto one amp using a single 4 conducter speakon cable. I'll see if I have pics in case I'm not making sense. 

Brian posted the power output specs of the 12k on 120v.  My take is that it has always had the ability to operate on 120v, but at greatly reduced output. 

120v vs. 120v, the 4k has more output than the 6k. 

The fans in my SP-12k's have only turned on maybe 2-3 times total.  Unless I'm really pushing things to the limits, and for a good while, they're completely idle. 

Idle as in running on low speed?  Or off entirely?  I guess I'll find out when I plug the SP2-12k in some time next week.  On the plus side, the extra air flow will probably help with air exchange between the front and rear of the cabinets.

Is the 12000 offered for 120v operation now? The 12000 I have on loan from Brian has yet to turn the fans on at all. 

Just get some extra male and female 4 conducter speakon cable ends and make up a splitter that connects to a regular speakon cable. One 4 conducter speakon cable carrying two signals and going to two cabs. I've got some weird connections like this going on in my HT system where I have 2 drivers in 2 separate cabs, all run in series, bridged onto one amp using a single 4 conducter speakon cable. I'll see if I have pics in case I'm not making sense. 

The Speakon connectors appear to be designed to accept a single cable with the outer jacket in place, but I guess I could make a splitter by removing the jacket completely from a short strand of 4-wire cable and putting a single connector at one end and a pair of connectors on each of two wires on the other end.  Do you use something like electrical tape to hold the thing together and protect the individual wires?

The Speakon connectors appear to be designed to accept a single cable with the outer jacket in place, but I guess I could make a splitter by removing the jacket completely from a short strand of 4-wire cable and putting a single connector at one end and a pair of connectors on each of two wires on the other end.  Do you use something like electrical tape to hold the thing together and protect the individual wires?

The ideal manner is to peel back the jacket from the 4 conductor cable and use 3 pieces of heatshrink to dress the split.  Use a smaller and longer piece on each leg, with a larger diameter piece put over the split and overlapping the legs last.  As Josh posted, there are many ways to split, and you can even bring 2 separate 2 conductor cables into 1 connector.

• 4 weeks later...

Since SpeakerPower primarily caters to OEMs, technically the knobs could be modified and are different between different OEMs.  To answer your question more directly in how SP expects them to be used, there is no high-pass filter.  The LF Adjust is a boost or cut of lower frequencies and again, will be different among the different OEMs.

You can find out more about the different settings Seaton setup here, which is slightly different than I setup but I haven't taken measurements yet.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/300-price-reduction-on-submersive-hp-f2-with-new-amplifier-features-7801701

Archived