Woofer Replacement for JBL 2242

dbstedt

It's more sensitive than that. Closer to 100dB. What is it that you want the replacement  woofer to do? Are you looking for more deep bass? Something more sensitive? What's your price range? How will the drivers be run? Frequency range, amplification, etc.

I don't see where the 99/100db figure comes from unless you're looking at 500Hz or above.  In your own testing you rated it at 97db.

I'm looking for a cost effective replacement (if possible), that's reasonably efficient.  I'd like to get a set of four so they're all matched.  I'd like to 'upgrade' if at all possible.  I'm pretty sure the 18tbx100 would be an effective replacement and am interested in options, feedback, ideas, etc.  If I can get close to OE performance and pay less I'd like to do so.

Low distortion, high efficiency and as much bottom-end as I can get ... for cheap!  Easy right?  :)

I don't see where the 99/100db figure comes from unless you're looking at 500Hz or above.  In your own testing you rated it at 97db.

Low distortion, high efficiency and as much bottom-end as I can get ... for cheap!  Easy right?   :)

Look at the measurements. Close to 100dB with a 2.83v input at 90-200Hz in a sealed enclosure. In the 4645C cab it extends that down to the 60Hz range. I'd say that's about right.

You should look at the TBX100 or the 18Sound 18lw1400. Those are probably about the best bang for the buck.

OK, I see it now.

Your measured sensitivity (SplSens) is 97.26db

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=driver&id=27

The  [Multi-Series]  >  (Sensitivity)  chart show the 1m/10m sensitivity at ~100db/100Hz and still rising.

The  [Extended]  >  (Long-Term Compression Sweeps)  chart shows ~95db/100Hz and leveling ... but that's at 2m! So that should be close to 98db at 1m.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=109&mset=121

I just heard back that the 18rbx100 is available to order for about $20 less than the 18tbx100 and it looks pretty interesting.

You can never have it all but even some-data can really go a long way.  More updates as I get to it.  

Thanks again for all the data Ricci!  

I put together a list of data for some drivers.  Numbers in BLUE BOLD are taken from the mfg website or data-sheet, all other info is taken or derived from Data-Bass or the Voice Coil Test Bench (audioxpress).

I just updated the list.  Found some measurements on the 18tbw100 and an RCF driver.  I threw in the Test Bench measurements for the 12" um12-22 as comparison.

Oh7rLZO.jpg

Archived