(8) Sealed Incriminator Audio Judge 21" build

lukeamdman

Do you have any data to support the idea that Fs will drop 1/2 an octave after 100 hours vs 1 hour? And, if that were possible, how exactly would that audibly reduce HD <20 Hz?

The only thing that will change from out-of-the-box is Cms. That will affect Vas and Fs pretty much inversely, netting a basic wash in in-box native response with no audible change in HD. What you're suggesting is a radical change after some magical great length of use. This is new info for me and I'd be interested to see the actual reasons and data, if possible.

During my conversations with Nick, he was very clear that the specs listed for their drivers are AFTER a very lengthy break-in process.  This is how he specifically designs them.  He suggested it would 2-3 hours of use per day for 3-4 weeks before they're approaching final specs. 

On one of my drivers freshly built, the Fs was 36hz.  After several hours of free air break-in (with 1,000w RMS), he measured the driver parameters again to make sure it was breaking in appropriately and repeated this process quite a few times.  According to his simulations and the readings he took periodically during his manual break-in process, he determined the final Fs would be ~26hz.  Once broken in, those specs aren't going to change much if any even after years of heavy use, and that's his goal. 

In "stock" form, the final Fs for these drivers is ~35hz after this lengthy break-in, but my drivers have different spiders and also 3 dust caps to add MMS.  Of course the goal for softening the suspension and adding mass was to lower the Fs.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing that will change from out-of-the-box is Cms. That will affect Vas and Fs pretty much inversely, netting a basic wash in in-box native response with no audible change in HD. What you're suggesting is a radical change after some magical great length of use. This is new info for me and I'd be interested to see the actual reasons and data, if possible.

Fs can be determined from Cms and Mms only.  This means that If Cms increases and Mms doesn't change, Fs must decrease.  This is not a wash.

I don't see any reason why the break-in recommended for these woofers is unreasonable.  Physically speaking, the time required for mechanical break-in could vary from anywhere from instantaneous to 1000s of years or more, depending on the material and construction.  There's nothing magical here at all.  What can be said is that if the break-in time is especially long for any particular suspension, then its usefulness diminishes and it is less likely to be made or sold.  In this case, I'd be concerned that 100 hours isn't long enough for break-in if the drivers aren't being pushed hard enough.

Now about that distortion.  Realize that Cms is only really a constant value if the excursion is very low.  As excursion increases, Cms usually decreases gradually to a point beyond which it drops off a lot.  The longer the stroke, the more the non-linearity of Cms comes into play.  It seems perfectly reasonable to me that a broken-in suspension may exhibit more linear Cms than one that is not broken-in.  It's also possible that the reverse may be true for some cases.  I don't know.  There is another reason distortion may drop though.  As Cms increases with break-in, its influence on the compliance of the box-mounted woofer diminishes relative the influence of the box air spring.  This means that the deviation from linearity in Cms makes less contribution to the non-linearity of in-box compliance with the broken-in woofer, which in turn will tend to reduce distortion.

You missed the point.

If Cms rises... so does Vas. When Vas rises and Fs drops, there is a wash in native response and a loss in sensitivity.

Sorry, but HD will not change audibly. What may be reasonable for you or others to assume is irrelevant. Feel free to unearth any data to support the claim.

I just assumed with some pretty dramatic changes to the specs pre and post break-in that there'd be at least some change in the response.  If that's not the case well I'm cool with that too. 

Luke,

I expect some parameters off of one of these drivers at some point. Impedance curve please!

I'm betting an "in-box" impedance curve isn't what you really wanted, but here you go.  This is from a single cabinet where the coils for each driver are in a series and then the two drivers are paralleled. 

Judge_zpsfgux7umi.jpg

I used my new fancy resistor rig to capture it.  At 10hz and lower the numbers were fluctuating so I tried my best to get an average.  This was around 3Vrms.

20160219_173329_zps2jyvrgbb.jpg

20160220_093645_zps8sa4yb0r.jpg

Ok, here's my first stab at the close mic measurement.  I took this with only a single cabinet being powered, but I think with 3 other 21s that are literally within a foot of the one being powered I think it's affecting the response somewhat.  I was expecting it to be a little smoother.  

judge%20close%20mic_zpsosrrz24u.jpg

I then put the mic at the LP and raised the volume level, but I'm not sure if I have the volume too low or too high?  Regardless, it looks I have some really nice room gain down low.  

close%20mic%20vs%20seats_zps8zzhijno.jpg

Here's some sweeps at the LP with the 21s, Othorns, and mains all quickly integrated.  There was a 12db volume difference from the very top sweep to the very bottom sweep.  

sweep1_zpss9rehmti.jpg

With 6 kids running around upstairs it affected the sub 10hz portion of the sweeps dramatically if they were jumping around, so this was the best I could do with all that noise.  

Why don't you try the subwoofer destroyer track, I mean the Lone Survivor Chopper scene? :)  Be careful because the 6Hz signal is 10dB louder than the rest of the track according to the crack research done by Shredhead.

I would be surprised if that scene hasn't killed a few amps too. I bet most amps simply protect or heavily limit the output with it. Anybody want to try this scene full out with an Inuke? I bet it doesn't go well.

That is a SIGNIFICANT change.  Hope your house is ready.  Careful you don't clip the amps or the DSP, you are boosting 10dB, which = 10x the power demand.

JSS

Yeah I need to modify the LT a bit.  I wanted to get flat to 10hz but I'm also boosting below that by quite a lot.

I would be surprised if that scene hasn't killed a few amps too. I bet most amps simply protect or heavily limit the output with it. Anybody want to try this scene full out with an Inuke? I bet it doesn't go well.

Ha, I could try it with the nu4-6000 but I don't want it to go up in smoke.  

Luke,

Try the Dragon Blade scene I sent you and watch those subs flabbing their brains away.

Oh yeah!  I completely forgot about that one!

It depends on the sub system and room.  I have no problems running that scene with an INuke 6000 but my system is very efficient in that range. 

That is a SIGNIFICANT change.  Hope your house is ready.  Careful you don't clip the amps or the DSP, you are boosting 10dB, which = 10x the power demand.

JSS

Something like this might be more reasonable.

Red is no LT, blue is the previous LT, and yellow is the latest LT test.  

LT_v1.1_zpsqovgwfxj.jpg

Archived