SI 4" coil DS4-18 info and discussion

Electrodynamic

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well are you going to actually answer the question about the pole cap or just make fun of AVS?

Quoting you I "don't know who the **** I am talking to" so maybe you could answer the question.  B) Your reply has nothing to do with AVS but everything to do with you. 

The DS4 does not have a pole cap. 

I will not duscuss the design criteria of the DS4 until it is in production and production is started and measurements are taken. 

Actually, Josh answered his own question. "An inner mag shorting ring is mentioned...". If the pole piece was clad, it would certainly be noteworthy and since it was not mentioned the likelihood that the driver utilized one was remote.

Nick, there will always be posters who hate you for not being them. It was pretty apparent to me what you meant by your answer.

I understand that you aren't going to post the motor specifics before production. Were it me, I wouldn't do so even after the production model has been cast in concrete. If someone is that interested, they can buy a couple and tear them apart to satisfy their curiosity. ;)

It's another excellent option. Keep up the good work.

This looks to be an unbeatable value for anyone who doesn't need maximum low-end efficiency in a small sealed box, as provided by the HST-18.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I presume this thing will have lower distortion than the HST-18 too.

I wonder if this thing could be built with neo magnets for more motor strength, and a bit more cone mass to reach down lower.  Naturally it would cost more, but as a premium woofer, it may be hard to beat.  The issue I'm ignoring is that neo probably wouldn't be a drop-in replacement for the ferrite without a new FEM-optimized geometry, but I can dream.

Actually, Josh answered his own question. "An inner mag shorting ring is mentioned...". If the pole piece was clad, it would certainly be noteworthy and since it was not mentioned the likelihood that the driver utilized one was remote.

Nick, there will always be posters who hate you for not being them. It was pretty apparent to me what you meant by your answer.

I understand that you aren't going to post the motor specifics before production. Were it me, I wouldn't do so even after the production model has been cast in concrete. If someone is that interested, they can buy a couple and tear them apart to satisfy their curiosity. ;)

It's another excellent option. Keep up the good work.

Bosso, if this is directed at me, I certainly don't hate Nick. But I am tired of the constant AVS bashing around here. It's turning this forum very negative. Nick bashes AVS and then goes there to announce products. I called him out on this one time and he told me I'm the kind of person that makes people want to leave forums and compared me to Hitler. Nice :huh:

If Nick doesn't want to answer questions about his driver because it causes forum issues, all he has to do is say he'd rather not share those details. The meaning of his post was not apparent to me...

Perhaps this forum could take it's own critique and stop being so negative. If this is a place for a few people to whine about AVS all the time, then I'd rather not be here. As many problems as AVS has, poking fun and whining about it here doesn't make this place better.

I was an early member and supporter of AVS. The last several years I was a member there, I posted exclusively at AVS.

Fuck AVS and the horse it died on. Are you really coming here to expose Nick's bad AVS posting habits to DB members?

The beginning of the end, when the new owners took possession, was the Chase bullshit there. You know, send your little groupies out to flag every post by the member you want out, then the AVS 'mods', who are generally asleep or counting ad revenues until flagged, delete your "offensive" post(s) and send you a form letter with infractions or temp ban or perm ban.

Shit products from a cheap copy artist. The rest was pure bullshit. Glad the few of us called it out and glad he's gone. The price? Those of us who called out the crapola no longer post at AVS.

The last straw for me was the return of the big swinging dick, tommy, and his laughable spew of "I have more experience than all of the so-called AVS experts combined" flagging anyone who verbally took exception to such blatant hubris while with the same stroke he attacked the person(s) publicly.

More shit products from a cheap copy artist. No one has ever used more forums to market his stuff for free, nor bullied opposing opinions more than TBGH. He is the epitome of the new AVS.

AVS is strictly a politically correct marketing tool, not a forum for exchange of ideas, new and old. If you don't mind being flagged for calling out shit products and lunatic claims while pop-up ads fill the screen, it's the place to be. Have at it and stop whining when anyone here takes a nice plump dump on it.

Where is the data? Links to this and other sites don't count. Why do you think Max, Abraham and myself moved MWB to this forum?

Does anyone here really think Nick is guilty of faking specs or too stupid to post them correctly? Really? Does anyone actually believe that the long-in-the-tooth, here today, gone tomorrow, here again next week, grossly overpriced LMS-Ultra-18" driver competes with Nick's products? Really?

Nick reacts to criticism badly, so I've heard. Should he post any info at AVS? IMO, hell no. Anyone with half a brain who contributed over the years at AVS is long gone. Should he down a few beers and take the troll bait? Absolutely not, again, IMO. I really don't give a whip what he does with his time in the final analysis. But, hands down, he's the guy I go to when I have specific driver needs and I'm never gonna be so stupid as to agree with anyone who posts baloney like he lists fake specs and doesn't know what he's doing.

How does any driver make it out of a GTG without being played!?! Isn't that a sin?

Too much booze and not enough time.

Probably for the best. :D

Or ROOM! We were about slam outa room! My boxes are also about the least fun thing EVER to get to, so we couldn't use those, and we didn't really have anything else on hand we could have put it in.... Josh's RF's on the other hand, well, it's my fault we didn't try and make that happen. Too busy Klippeling everything else. Those results are pending....

Are you really coming here to expose Nick's bad AVS posting habits to DB members?

No, I'm coming here to have a good conversation about bass. But it's not working out so great when it's full of AVS bashing. I just wish people here would get over it and focus on the stuff that matters. There's been more negativity here than AVS ;)  Ricci asked what I thought was a genuine question, and Nick felt compelled to bash AVS again. I had enough, again.

As to your feelings about AVS, that's fine. At least you're not a hipocrite. You've certainly put your money where your mouth is. I personally still get enjoyment out of AVS and post a lot there. But if someone hates it, that's ok.

Perhaps this forum could take it's own critique and stop being so negative. If this is a place for a few people to whine about AVS all the time, then I'd rather not be here. As many problems as AVS has, poking fun and whining about it here doesn't make this place better.

I don't want to see you leave this forum tux, you're a good contributor.  I don't think that we whine about AVS all of the time but sometimes you have to vent, ya know?  It seems that you get respected around AVS but a few of us have been swarmed by jackals on more than one occasion and not because we deserved it.  Like it or not, that has the tendency to change your feelings about a place and your reaction to it.  On top of that, it's not just a hobby with Nick so you can imagine how much stress that adds to the situation. 

It sux to see you and Nick at odds because I think you guys would end up getting along fine if you got to hang out at a GTG or something like that. 

I appreciate that Shred. And I've joined in the venting before. So I can understand that. I understand where some people are coming from. I haven't been personally attacked much on AVS like some of you have, so I see the difference and understand why some here feel that way. I hope people here don't have to stoop to that level though. But, I do see your point. If you need to vent from time to time. By all means. Which is why 95% of Bosso's post didn't bother me.

As for Nick and I, ya, we probably would get along. I like subs, he likes subs. We're both fringe hobbyists. Sometimes people act differently on the forums, myself included. It's often unintentional. It just happens, despite trying our hardest to be ourselves.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived