Do I have to be "that guy" and post this here - monster 24"?

Electrodynamic

I haven't seen this posted about on this forum so I suppose I have to be "that guy" and make the post.  :P

A local client of mine came up to me and requested the biggest, baddest, 24" I could conjure up so I used one of Sundown Audio's 4" coil "TEAM" motors and built up the most indestructable 24" driver I could think of. The particular client had a 4'th order wall in a Chevy Tahoe with two HS-24's on close to 7,000 watts total RMS between the two drivers. It is not odd of him to demo for 20 to 30 minutes at full tilt without interruption so it's no wonder the stock HS-24's did not last more than six months for him.

Anyway without wasting any more time:

The BHS-24 is officially available for purchase. 24" woofer, 42mm of Xmax, 4" diameter voice coil, 4,000 watts power handling, 130 lb subwoofer. $1899 shipped in the lower continental United States. Recommended enclosures are 8 to 12 ft^3 sealed or 20 ft^3 tuned to 20 Hz ported. Anyone care to try this in a tapped horn? Haha. 

T/S Parameters:

Re: 2.89 Ohms
Fs: 23.18 Hz
Qes: 0.54
Qms: 4.61
Qts: 0.488
Le: 2.4 mH
Sd: 212943.8 mm^2 (330.06 in^2)
Vas: 318.7 L
BL: 27.1 
Mms: 952.2 g
Cms: 49.48
SPL: 90.36 dB 1W/1M
SPL: 94.77 dB 2.83V/1M

Xmax: 42mm
Xmech: 55mm

Power handling: 4,000 watts RMS

SI-BHS-24-Rear.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MY GOD

Really beautiful driver Nick! I have lurked at this site a long time but this spectacular post made me register! You are a true artisan! I noticed the Le seems to be low for such a VC with that diameter and power handling. How did you manage that? Am I also right in assuming this driver would be less adversely affected if placed in a smaller enclosure than the HS24? Sorry for the newbie questions, I am still learning about these things. Anyway, really nice work! 

The HS-24 weighs 85 lbs. The BHS-24 weighs 115 lbs. Packed up it is 115 lbs for the HS-24 and 140 lbs for the BHS-24. FedEx's weight limit is 150 lbs, haha. 

This would have to be a sea freight option for me anyways. FedEx would want something like 6-900 dollars. Crazy ness

Nick

I'm heavily invested in a stock that may explode soon and when that happens you'll be building quite a few of these for my room!!!!

Don't forget you said you'd come "up" for a visit if I bought a few!

I can't wait!!!

Congrats on making a true monster!!!!

BL^2/Re of 254. That's a little better Nick. I'll be "that guy" myself and say that I'm surprised this wasn't done long ago.

Since we're talking about this platform already, 12" spiders would fit with a different under spider spacer with a 45deg angle I'd imagine.

115lbs and $1899...Time for a neo motor.

BL^2/Re of 254. That's a little better Nick. I'll be "that guy" myself and say that I'm surprised this wasn't done long ago.

Since we're talking about this platform already, 12" spiders would fit with a different under spider spacer with a 45deg angle I'd imagine.

115lbs and $1899...Time for a neo motor.

Why wasn't it done a long time ago? No one asked for it. The HS-24 is beyond formidable for a single driver solution and no one requested higher power handling, higher stroke, etc. Then a particular local customer gave me the green light for a "make me one I can't blow up" version and the BHS-24 was born (BHS are his initials). 

12" spiders could definitely be done. No 45 degree angle on the spacer though - WAY too steep of an angle to add 25mm of landing area per side. And a neo motor version? $2,199 for HS-24 weight with more motor force and it's yours. :D

Hey Nick.

Nice driver. Paul mentioned the drama at AVS over this driver and I poked my head in the thread for a few minutes. Amazing stuff, all that Klippel baloney, etc. Seems every time there was ever a driver that was obviously in the "uber" category, there were experts ripping into every conceivable atom of speculative performance parameter vs stated specifications.

In my somewhat vast experience in reading these sorts of empty discussions, which are in reality just ego posts to determine a pecking order of who knows the most terminology and who has the most time with a modeling program, they usually just tell you who will never actually build a system and report the results using the actual source material the driver was intended to reproduce. ;)

Josh has tested enough drivers in the sub category from PE, SI, Fi, ISL, B&C, JBL, MTX, Sundown, etc. Any of them "Klippeled"? Does it matter? If the system is designed and built correctly for the app, the X-max is not particularly important, or certainly shouldn't be.

The truly pertinent information is many times completely lost in the elbowing and shoving and name-dropping bullshit those threads are rife with.

Is the manny reliable?, Is the price reasonable? Is the driver up to the task of the violence required to reproduce complex, dynamic and extremely low frequency and wide bandwidth sound design effects without flaming out or tearing apart? Then, awesome! Welcome it into the folds with open arms and due appreciation and leave the thread open for the guys who will actually buy them, build systems with them and post data of the results of their performance in actual and average rooms playing actual soundtrack source.

Nah... too much to ask... just day dreaming again. Gotta stay away from those threads... :P

"In my somewhat vast experience in reading these sorts of empty discussions, which are in reality just ego posts to determine a pecking order of who knows the most terminology and who has the most time with a modeling program, they usually just tell you who will never actually build a system and report the results using the actual source material the driver was intended to reproduce. "

Well said Dave, and +1.

Sawdust and sweeps will always trump simulations.

Its another typical thread with SI bashing by mainly one guy and his two sidekicks. Not sure why the same thing keeps being brought up every time a driver is introduced from Nick. Probably the same thing will happen when he posts about his new 18" also.(which I am looking forward to seeing more about)

Its another typical thread with SI bashing by mainly one guy and his two sidekicks. Not sure why the same thing keeps being brought up every time a driver is introduced from Nick. Probably the same thing will happen we he posts about his new 18" also.

This is "EXACTLY" right! Unfortunately

Archived