Othorn for live sound/DJ

d_c

I'm curious to hear about experiences with the Othorn for live sound or DJ use, how they were set up in relation to the room or venue, what tops were used, and crossover settings between tops and horns.

I have two Othrons that replace a pair of BFM designed Titan 48.  I have a party every year at the American Royal BBQ competition in a space that is 20x75.  The area seems small for the amount of equipment, but it is outdoors and there are as many as 10 parties just like ours within 50 meters with a DJ or a live band, and over 500 teams within the event area.  I bring enough sound so we don't have to hear a blend of everyone else's music.  I have a pair of Mackie SRM450 that I use for tops about 12 feet apart with the T48s paired together in the middle.  I'm wondering with the extra output of the Othorns if the sound would be better to spread them apart to 12' under the mains and run them in stereo up to 100hz to the Mackies.  I realize I won't know until I get there what it will sound like, but thought a discussion of pros and cons of placement options could be helpful.  What do you guys think?

I would wait to hear from Ricci but 12ft apart would be fine. I do outdoor parties for small personal gatherings and have had subs apart and together. BUT I mainly use the subs as stands to get the speakers up higher SO it works just fine for now but I am sure there are other ways.

I was just excited to see you talking about a BBQ competition. They dont have anything like that here in OZ. When I moved here I realized that australia calls a BBQ anything that goes on a grille. So mainly sausages and steak. Where is for me I am used to go to a BBQ and having BBQ chicken, BBQ ribs, BBQ pork, pulled pork ect ect. I have been trying to learn as much as I can on BBQ lately to start getting an annual meetup.

Anyways I think you need to build another pair of Othorns just in case. :D

I bring enough sound so we don't have to hear a blend of everyone else's music.  

So you mean you're the annoying guy drowning out everyone else's music they are trying to enjoy?  ;) LOL  :lol:

(Seems slightly crazy to have that many sound systems competing with each other, surely it just makes for a discordant mess at any distance from the event!)

Chrapladm- 

It is a great time - our 14th year in the competition.  Like many of the other teams, our focus has shifted from trying to win to having a good time.  We still make some seriously good BBQ to share with 300 of our best friends at the big party Friday night, but the whole part about getting broken hearts from not placing in the competition has passed.  We are just there to get friends and family together for a great party - and excellent SQ.

"So you mean you're the annoying guy drowning out everyone else's music they are trying to enjoy?  ;) LOL  :lol:"

MemX- 

NO!  yes.  Surprisingly, the sound I have been bringing sounds quite a bit better than 99% of the ones around us, even as limited as it is.  Last year, some folks with way too much money hired a horrid band with a truckload of gear and a big stage very close to us - the ladies at their party heard the music they wanted to dance to at our party and wandered over.  The T48 do well, but the Othorns should be even more exciting.  A good selection of tracks and some full body tactile bass is always a lady pleaser.

33Hz pleaser for the laydeez? ;)  lol

I think good quality, balanced, full(er)-range music reproduction is much easier to listen to (and therefore much more enjoyable) at high levels than limited-bass-range, distortion-tastic, cranked to the max 'noise' over a PA-type system, the latter of which seems to be a sad staple of weddings and other similar events :rolleyes:

The missus and I were at a wedding venue at the weekend (kill me now  :ph34r: lol) and had to suffer some utterly appalling, headache-inducing screeching from a male/female duo over some cheap-and-nasty PA-type speakers, who felt they needed to be about 10dB louder than they actually needed to be so that they could get some attention and be heard over conversation in every bloody room in the venue.  All the missus and I said to each other was "Well, we're not having them...". 

Equally, some muppet with a standalone BOSE unit cranked to the max and playing background music to his 'cinematic videos' of a big day was trying to drown out the poor guy immediately to his left attempting to play his piano at a sensible, discreet level.  All of which has made me more determined to see if it's possible to hire a Steinway Lyngdorf system to play very high quality classical music, or build my own setup that actually has good bass extension and quality reproduction!

It's a shame there's a big pond in the way, it would be awesome to come over and enjoy some beer, BBQ and bass B)  :)

Archived