Crown XLS5000 fan issue

Aj72

I've had an issue with my fan not coming on when powering up the Crown XLS5000 amplifier. If I give the amp a few "Fonz" taps it comes good but is taking me longer and longer (like one dozen attempts each time now). Seems to be getting progressively worse. I tried to clean around the fan but hasn't fixed it. Once the fan starts up it's fine and stays running it's just getting it started that's the issue. I do keep this amplifier in a cupboard outside undercover but does get quite cold (32 deg F). How easy is it to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Sounds like the fan is pooping out.  It's an easy fix.  First, pop the top off and see how to get to the fan (with cord unplugged).  Looks like Crown uses their patented construction paper to route the airflow on this amp too so you'll have to fiddle with how it is connected or flat out cut it out of your way to get to the fan.  You can always electrical tape it back together when you are done if you have to "modify" it.  Spin the fan blades with your finger and see how freely they move.  If they spin easily and gently slow down by themselves then the fan might be good. 

6591913865_86c5ce39e3_z.jpg

If it's really dusty in there, take it outside and leaf blower it out.  You can sometimes get more life out of a fan on it way out by spinning the crap out of it with a leaf blower held up to it for a few seconds but unplug the fan first if you do this because it will generate electricity and that might pop something in the circuit it's attached to.  If the fan is not moving nice and loose after that, I'd replace it.  Match the size (depth&width), voltage and CFM ratings. You can also take fans like that apart and lube them to bring them back but I won't explain how unless you want me to. 

If the fan moves freely, I would skin back the wires to it and with it still hooked up, hook a multimeter (harbor freight, $5 turned to DCV 20 -banana clips help here) up to it and turn the amp on.  If it's reading voltage and the fan isn't spinning it's for sure a bad fan.  If no voltage, then the problem is somewhere else because I doubt this model of amp is setup to shut the fan down completely. 

Disclaimer: things can go violently wrong when messing with a power amp that is that powerful even when it is unplugged so be careful and don't blame me if you get bit.  Don't bridge metal to metal with screw drivers and don't touch heat sinks because sometimes they have hundreds of volts on them when running. 

Disclaimer: things can go violently wrong messing with a power amp that is that powerful even when it is unplugged so be careful and don't blame me if you get bit.  Don't bridge metal to metal with screw drivers and don't touch heat sinks because sometimes they have hundreds of volts on them when running. 

Heat sinks may carry a voltage?  I've never heard that before.  Yikes!  I'd definitely steer clear of those monster caps though.

I do keep this amplifier in a cupboard outside undercover but does get quite cold (32 deg F).

I don't think this is such a good idea.  If the air temperature reaches the dew point, then it will cause water will condense on all the surfaces including inside the chassis.  Whenever I receive new electronics shipments in the winter, I always let it sit inside for a while to get up to temperature and dry out in case any moisture condensed inside.

Heat sinks may carry a voltage?

Sometimes designers will not opt to use mica pads to isolate their power/output transistors from the heat sink because the heat sink doesn't come in contact with the chassis so they can have full rail voltage on them.  You can continuity check the heat sink with the amp chassis while the power is off to make sure that this isn't the case. 

Thanks for the advice. I dont think I will touch the electrics but I know someone who can so easy done. Unfortunately amp outside due to fan noise. Any other amps with similar power that fan noise isn't an issue? I would consider one of Bosso's amps but living in Australia with voltage difference (240v) and getting it here may prove too expensive.

Archived